- Ministry of the Solicitor General
- 285 Macdougall, Thunder Bay
- Salary Range: $1,268.82 - $1,581.87 per week
- Job ID 135216
- Job Category
- Contract type
Are you a conscientious, well-organized Registered Nurse, with a strong commitment to the care and well-being of others? If so, please consider this rewarding opportunity to join the health care team with the Thunder Bay Jail, Ministry of the Solicitor General.
Thunder Bay is a modern community that offers high quality amenities and a diversified economy. With a lower cost of living and an average commute time of 10 minutes, this is the place to consider your next career!
This job ad is posted until filled. Please refer to original ad on the OPS Career website to check if we are still accepting applications or if the posting has officially closed. You can check by going to www.ontario.ca/careers and searching for Job ID# 135216.
We welcome recent grads who are a Registered Nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario to consider this opportunity.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Conduct health assessments for the purposes of triage and on-going care
• Plan for and provide health care treatment
• Monitor adherence to treatment plans and response to health care interventions
• Liaise with community care providers to obtain health histories and to facilitate transitional care at discharge for both remand and intermittent inmates
• Participate in case management
• Advocate for and encourage patient participation in the plan of care
• Act as a resource for patients, staff and external stakeholders by sharing your knowledge and expertise
• Work collaboratively as a member of the inter-professional team to develop, implement and evaluate patient-specific plans of care
• Contribute to health program development within the institution
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other staff members and external stakeholders
• Provide emergency care, acute care, crisis intervention, health teaching, and counselling, when required, both for patients considered medically stable and unstable
• Practise in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• Practise in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
Please read the following information carefully and customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad.
Location: Thunder Bay
How do I qualify?
• You are currently a Registered Nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
Nursing Knowledge and Experience
• You have knowledge of professional standards and guidelines, best practice guidelines, and nursing theories, practices and relevant legislation (such as Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Mental Health Act)
• You are able to complete a comprehensive health assessment
• You can elicit, interpret and evaluate information from patients and other sources and draw conclusions to develop treatment and care plans
• You are able to evaluate patient responses to planned interventions and to modify interventions in collaboration with the inter-professional team to achieve established goals
• You can address emergency situations and implement appropriate therapeutic interventions
Other Essential Skills
• You have excellent critical thinking and organizational skills to provide emergency, urgent and routine health care
• You have effective oral and written communication and health teaching skills to deal effectively with staff and clients
• You can work as a member of an inter-professional team and with a diverse client group
Hours of Work
• These are temporary, irregular on-call positions, the duration of assignment is 6 months with possible extension. The hours of work are 0-40 hours per week. You are expected to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service, up to 24 hours a day
Salary Range: $1,268.82 - $1,581.87 per week
- 3 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months (with possible extension), 285 Macdougall, Thunder Bay, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service).
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 135216, by Friday, June 28, 2019. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Registered Nurse - Emergency Department
Lennox and Addington County General Hospital
Registered Nurse - Intensive Care Unit
Lennox and Addington County General Hospital
Manager, Complex Behaviours
Registered Nurse – Critical Care (Emergency and I…
Cambridge Memorial Hospital
Guideline Development Methodologist
Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO)