Full-Time Permanent Position
Monday to Friday 35 Hours per week
As Canada’s largest agency serving at-risk, homeless and trafficked youth, Covenant House Toronto changes lives by providing the widest range of services and support to as many as 300 youth a day. A national leader, we educate and advocate for change by influencing public policy and delivering prevention and awareness programs.
More than a place to stay, we provide 24/7 crisis shelter and transitional housing on-site and in the community, along with comprehensive services including education, counselling, health care, employment assistance, job training and after-care.
To do all this, we rely on donors for more than 80 per cent of our $30.6-million annual operating budget. Our doors are open to youth 16 to 24 regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or the circumstances that have brought them to our doors. Since opening our doors in 1982, Covenant House has served more than 95,000 young people.
The Registered Nurse will practice within Covenant House Toronto’s healthcare clinic and affiliated Covenant House Toronto program areas, serving at-risk, homeless and trafficked youth. The primary care clinic is nurse-led and includes an interprofessional team of registered nurses, a nurse practitioner, family physicians, psychiatrists, an adolescent medicine specialist, and a mental health and substance use counselor who see youth for a wide range of health-related matters including: mental health challenges, pregnancy, sexual health, acute and chronic illness, transgender care, health promotion and disease prevention, and substance use. We utilize a trauma informed, strength based model of healthcare delivery.
The successful applicant will be responsible for:
- Availability to work flexible hours including days and evenings
- Providing health assessment, intervention, education and follow up care
- Performing nursing acts and delegated controlled acts in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario practice standards, and the policies and procedures of Covenant House and the Healthcare Services department
- Performing triage for physicians/psychiatrists and assisting providers in care delivery
- Participation, as a member of the multidisciplinary case management team, in development of an individualized plan of care for youth
- Providing internal and external linkages, resources and advocacy
- Working with diverse communities, particularly those that are marginalized
- Crisis prevention and intervention
- Participation in community health promotion by assessing health needs, implementing and evaluating programs based on identified need and teaching clients and team members about best practice and evidence based care
- Developing, supervising and evaluating clinical placements nursing students in consultation with their specific educational facilities
- Participating in team meetings, professional development, and supervisory sessions as required
- Assisting in the general duties of running a clinic
- Current registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree
- Preference will be given to candidates with primary care experience, preferably working with youth who have experienced homelessness or those facing barriers to accessing health care
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience practicing within a strengths-based, trauma-informed, harm reduction framework
- Knowledge of mental health disorders and substance use
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to Human Resources, on or before Wednesday May 29 2019.
We thank all applicants however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As an employer, Covenant House is committed to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. We encourage applications from qualified individuals who represent diverse communities. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Covenant House Policies on Accommodation, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of Covenant House recruitment process.