- Whitby, ON
- Job Category
- Healthcare Services and Wellness, Nursing/Healthcare
- Contract type
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is a public hospital that provides inpatient, outpatient and consultation services for people with complex mental illness. Our patients benefit from a recovery-oriented environment of care built on compassion, inspiration and hope. We engage in research, education and advocacy initiatives to advance the mental health care system and are proud to work with partners across the continuum of care. If you thrive on innovation and positive change, and share our vision of Recovering Best Health, Nurturing Hope and Inspiring Discovery, Ontario Shores is the place for you.
PATIENT SAFETY LEADER, QUALITY
Number of Vacancies
Internal Contract End Date
Hours of Work
Full-Time (37.5 hours per week) Days
Main Site - 700 Gordon Street - Whitby, ON L1N 5S9 CA (Primary)
Reporting to the Manager of the Quality, Recovery and Patient Experience Department, the Patient Safety Leader is responsible for the day-to-day general operations management within the Patient Safety program as assigned. In conjunction with the Manager, the Leader, Patient Safety is required to:
• Use clinical experience, knowledge and leadership skills to implement and promote best practice patient safety initiatives throughout the organization to mitigate unsafe acts and promote optimal patient safety outcomes through the use of evidence-based patient safety strategies and tools;
• Contribute to the Patient Safety Strategic Plan and implement patient safety initiatives, programs and processes, to facilitate corporate-wide compliance with patient safety-related Statutory, Regulatory, and Accreditation requirements;
• Operationalize the Ontario Shores’ Integrated Safety Model through communication and collaboration with responsible leads for staff safety and environmental safety, as well as internal and external stakeholders while employing evidence-based best patient safety practices.
• Work collaboratively with Professional Practice and the Risk Management Department to foster coordination of practice initiatives with patient safety activities.
Qualifications Required and Preferred
• A University degree in a health services discipline;
• Registered Nurse with current Regulatory College registration in good standing;
• Ability to perform the physical demands of the position;
• Proven good attendance record with the capability of maintaining this same standard;
• Travel between sites/locations as required.
• Minimum 5-7 years clinical experience in a healthcare environment;
• Minimum 2 years working experience in healthcare patient safety, healthcare risk management, quality or professional practice;
• 2-3 years’ experience working in a mental health environment;
• Masters prepared;
• Formal training and certification in patient safety, risk management, quality improvement, and/or professional practice;
• Willingness to actively pursue certification in Patient Safety, if not already attained.
• Working knowledge of professional practice standards, statutes and regulations governing the operation of a mental health public hospital and pertaining to patient care delivery and patient safety;
• Working knowledge of patient safety theory and patient safety tools used in a healthcare environment; expertise in root cause analysis, cause and effect analysis, failure mode and effects analysis; occurrence reporting, and disclosure of adverse events and/or unanticipated outcomes as applied to healthcare;
• Knowledge of own regulated health care profession’s theory and practice in mental health;
• Knowledge of adult education principles.
• Well-developed public speaking abilities and exemplary written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to establish positive collaborative working relationships with all staff, clients, families, community agencies and other professionals while employing tact and diplomacy;
• Dynamic, innovative and creative leadership, especially in the development of, and delivery of, education material to adult learners; interpersonal and team building skills to engage staff;
• Proven organizational, problem solving, time management, prioritization, coordination, facilitation, and critical thinking abilities;
• Detail oriented, objective, and demonstrated commitment to just culture;
• Ability to handle challenging and sensitive situations with professionalism, tact, diplomacy, objectivity, and in discreet confidence;
• Highly computer literate, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Power Point, Excel, and Access);
Personal information you provide to Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is collected pursuant to the Public Hospitals Act R.S.O 1990, c. P.40. It will be used for the purpose of determining eligibility for employment. At all times it will be treated in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have questions about the collection of your personal information, contact the Leader, Privacy & Access at 700 Gordon St. Whitby, ON L1N 5S9; 905-430-4055 ext. 6712 or refer to the Privacy & Access pages on the Ontario Shores website. Upon request, individual accommodation can be provided to applicants who meet the required qualifications outlined in the job descriptions, and have been invited for an interview. For questions and concerns, please contact Human Resources at 905.430.4055 ext. 6191.
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer
More search results
Full-Time Professor - BScN Collaborative Nursing …
Canadore College of Applied Arts and Technology
Registered Nurse - Emergency Department
Lennox and Addington County General Hospital
Registered Nurse - Intensive Care Unit
Lennox and Addington County General Hospital
Manager, Complex Behaviours
Registered Nurse – Critical Care (Emergency and I…
Cambridge Memorial Hospital