Qualifications, Skills and Proficiencies:
- Registered Nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Bachelor Degree in Nursing
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a registered nurse within a community health centre setting in the following areas preferred:
- Assessing (and triaging) patients to determine the appropriate nursing and/or medical care required.
- Chronic disease management, with an emphasis on providing care for patients with diabetes, hypertension and asthma
- Administering medications and treatments as directed by supervising physicians
- Monitoring and assessing changes in patients’ symptoms and conditions and providing updates to attending physicians
- Delivering and advising on women’s health screening tests delivered to patients, including cervical cytology tests, breast examinations and contraception
- Providing advice on travel health and administering of immunizations to patients before traveling
- Skilled in assessment, health promotion & education, counseling and understanding of community development
- Able to work as a member of an interdisciplinary health care team
Direct Client Care:
- Participate in providing comprehensive primary care within the scope of a Registered Nurse in an expanded role
- Coordinate client care within the health centre and with specialists and other health care agencies
- Provide telephone advice and triage for requests, abnormal results, screening purposes and health prevention issues
- Initiate health teaching and health promotion with clients as part of a clinical assessment and groups
- Nurse in a home-bound program and/or home visits as required.
Health Promotion and Education:
- Collaborate with one’s service team and other teams across the organization to identify and provide health education to target groups
- Participate in community projects or agency activities as a representative of the Health Centre as needed
- Assist in the development of community outreach programs based on the needs of individuals and the community
- Participate in the development of, and give support to policies and strategies that are in the interest of public health and recognize the determinants of health
- Incorporate health care advances into practice and base this practice on the changing demographics and evolving needs of the community
- Participate in Quality Improvement, Audits, Accreditation and other relevant organizational committees and working groups as needed
- Plan, participate and assist identifying priority population consistent with Flemingdon Health Centre’s mission and goals
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the community within the health centre’s catchment area
- Have working knowledge of community services which are available for clients and will refer appropriately
- Teaching and supervising nursing and medical students
- Participate in the planning, implementation and evaluation of goals which are developed yearly.
Interested and qualified individuals are invited to submit an application including a cover letter and resume to:
Note: This is a bargaining unit position with UFCW. Terms may be altered as a result of collective bargaining.