- Ministry of the Solicitor General
- $1,268.82 - $1,581.87 per week
- Job ID 134603
- Job Category
- Contract type
Are you a conscientious and well-organized Registered Nurse, with a strong commitment to the care and well-being of others? If so, please consider this rewarding opportunity to join the health care team with the Ministry of the Solicitor General (formerly Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services), Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Conduct health assessments for the purposes of triage and on-going care
• Plan for and provide health care treatment
• Monitor adherence to treatment plans and response to health care interventions
• Liaise with community care providers to obtain health histories and to facilitate transitional care at discharge for both remand and intermittent inmates
• Participate in case management
• Advocate for and encourage patient participation in the plan of care
• Act as a resource for patients, staff and external stakeholders by sharing your knowledge and expertise
• Work collaboratively as a member of the inter-professional team to develop, implement and evaluate patient-specific plans of care
• Contribute to health program development within the institution
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other staff members and external stakeholders
• Practise in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• Practise in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
• Provide emergency care, acute care, crisis intervention, health teaching, and counseling when required both for patients considered medically stable and unstable
Please read the following information carefully and customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad.
How do I qualify?
• You must be registered as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario and be in good standing
Hours of Work
Permanent (Full-Time) - 40 hours per week
Temporary (Irregular On-Call) - 0 to 40 hours per week
You are expected to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service, up to 24 hours a day.
Nursing Knowledge and Experience
• You have knowledge of professional standards and guidelines, best practice guidelines, and nursing theories, practices and relevant legislation (such as Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Mental Health Act)
• You are able to complete a comprehensive health assessment
• You can elicit, interpret and evaluate information from patients and other sources and draw conclusions to develop treatment and care plans
• You are able to evaluate patient responses to planned interventions and to modify interventions in collaboration with the inter-professional team to achieve established goals
• You can address emergency situations and implement appropriate therapeutic interventions
Other Essential Skills
• You have excellent critical thinking and organizational skills to provide emergency, urgent and routine health care
• You have effective oral and written communication skills and health teaching skills to deal effectively with staff and clients
• You can work as a member of an inter-professional team and work with a diverse client group
Salary Range: $1,268.82 - $1,581.87 per week
- 1 Permanent - Full Time, 2244 Innes Rd, Ottawa, East Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- 4 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months (with possible extension), 2244 Innes Rd, Ottawa, East Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service).
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 134603, by Friday, April 26, 2019. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. If unable to submit online, applications will also be accepted by fax, at 705-494-3436, to the attention of Jeff Lamothe.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Manager, Intensive Care and Post Anesthetic Recov…
Nurse Practitioner - full time/permanent
North Peel Family Health Team
Clinical Nurse Specialist – Sexual Health Clinics
The Regional Municipality of York
REGISTERED NURSE (R.N.) - Casual P/T
Hillel Lodge - Ottawa Jewish Home for the Aged
Full-time/Part-time Nurse - Exceptional Opportuni…
Peak Health Ontario