Public Health Nurse
- #0008-19 and #0009-19
- Job Category
- Healthcare Services and Wellness
- Contract type
Competition #0008-19 and #0009-19
Public Health Nurse – Health Promotion (2 positions)
The Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit has an opening for two (2) 1.0 FTE permanent full-time Public Health Nurses in the Health Promotion Division, Healthy Families Department, based in the Lindsay office.
As a member of the Health Promotion Division, the Public Health Nurse is accountable to Health Promotion Management for the implementation of the assigned Requirements of the Healthy Growth and Development Program Standards of the Ontario Public Health Standards (OPHS) 2018 and relevant protocols. The Public Health Nurse may also be accountable to implement the Healthy Babies, Healthy Children Program in accordance with the Healthy Babies, Healthy Children Protocol 2018 and other duties as assigned by Health Promotion Management.
The Public Health Nurse assigned to the Healthy Families Department uses a comprehensive health promotion approach to reduce health inequities of families and children. By adopting the public health core competencies and using knowledge of the social determinants of health, population health, evidence-based practice, the Public Health Nurse works to achieve optimal preconception, pregnancy, newborn, child, youth, parental and family health.
The Public Health Nurse is expected to work independently and as part of an interprofessional team to deliver public health programming. The Public Health Nurse fosters collaborative relationships with community partners, children, youth, and parents to plan, implement and evaluate healthy growth and development programs.
All Registered Nurses employed by HKPRDHU are required to maintain competency in immunization and participate in clinics as required.
Public Health Nurses work within their scope of practice, recognizing their limits of practice and consulting appropriately.
The successful candidate will have:
- Requirements for employment as a Public Health Nurse as per Regulation 566 of the Health Protection and Promotion Act
- University degree in Nursing
- Community/public health and/or health promotion experience is preferred
- Proof of current registration with College of Nurses of Ontario
- Proficiency in the knowledge, skills and attitudes required for the role of Public Health Practitioner, Front Line Provider, as defined by the Core Competencies for Public Health in Canada
- Working knowledge of the Ontario Public Health Standards
- Critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Demonstrates customer service and interpersonal skills at a level to develop and maintain cooperative/collaborative working relationships both within and outside the organization
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines with the ability to deal with multiple demands
- Excellent written communication skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills with the ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Demonstrates initiative consistently with a commitment to quality and process improvement
- Demonstrates the ability to develop community partnerships, to identify and strengthen local community capacities to act on health issues, and to establish and maintain linkages with community leaders and other key health promotion stakeholders
- Demonstrates knowledge of health communication and knowledge translation for varied audiences
- Ability to analyze report data and trends in services to inform practice
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office, internet, and any other related reporting software
- Ability to establish therapeutic nursing relationships with vulnerable families who have complex health needs
- Ability to apply nursing theory and learning principles with knowledge of prenatal, postpartum, and early childhood health concerns
- Demonstrates the ability to set goals, assess clients, and evaluate goals using a client and family-centred approach
- Experience with program planning, implementation, and evaluation
- Demonstrates the ability to promote healthy growth and development of children and families through nursing assessment, intervention, and referral
- Knowledge of the Baby Friendly Initiative and infant feeding best practices
- Excellent conflict management skills
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Current and satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Check
- Proof of immunizations required by HKPRDHU
- Satisfactory completion of probationary period (3 months)
- Current CPR and First Aid (HCP level) or willingness to be certified at this level within two months of hire
Location: (2) Lindsay
Salary Range: ONA Scale 2019 $76,030 - $83,489
Start Date: ASAP
Accommodations are available, upon request, to support the participation of persons with disabilities in the recruitment process. All recruitment documents are available in alternative format, upon request.
Qualified applicants are invited to send a resume and cover letter by
4:30 p.m. on Friday, April 26, 2019 to:
Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit
200 Rose Glen Road
Port Hope ON L1A 3V6
We would like to thank all applicants in advance and advise that only those selected for an
interview will be contacted.
More search results
Nurse - Organ and Tissue Donation Coordinator - O…
TRILLIUM GIFT OF LIFE NETWORK - 313235
Registered Nurse - Two Openings
Indwell Community Homes
Assistant Manager of Care (Assistant Director of …
Region of Waterloo
County of Bruce
Registered Nurse, Geriatric Mental Health Outreac…
CMHA, Lambton Kent