- Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
- $1,564.71 - $1,866.99 per week
- Job ID 134437
- Job Category
- Contract type
Bring your knowledge and clinical expertise to the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, Toronto South Detention Centre, where you will provide primary care services to patients with diverse health care needs, with a focus on health promotion and disease prevention.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will use your specialized knowledge and skills to provide patient-centred primary care to offenders. Specifically, you will:
• Assess, diagnose and prescribe treatment with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention
• Communicate diagnosis and treatment plan options
• Collaborate with an inter-professional team in the development of patient plan of care, and to develop and implement strategies that promote health and prevent illness
• Advocate for and facilitate the principles of self-care by involving offenders in their own plan of care
• Act as a resource for patients, staff and external stakeholders
• Respond to emergency situations and implement appropriate interventions
• Practise in accordance with College of Nurses Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• Practise in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
How do I qualify?
• You are registered as a Registered Nurse Extended Class (Nurse Practitioner) in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• You have a Nurse Practitioner specialty certificate in primary health care or adult care
• You have knowledge of illness/disease theory, pharmaceuticals, diagnostic and laboratory testing, evidence-based practice and current treatment modalities
• You have knowledge of mental health and addiction treatment options
• You can interpret and apply legislation to practice (i.e., Health Care Consent Act, Personal Health Information Protection Act, Regulated Health Professions Act, etc.)
Clinical Assessment, Critical Reasoning and Analytical Skills
• You demonstrate clinical expertise and assessment skills to elicit, interpret and utilize information from inmates and other sources
• You can respond to emergency situations and implement appropriate interventions
• You can evaluate responses to treatment and modify the treatment plan to achieve established goals
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can communicate effectively and present information in a clear and concise manner
• You can document care and progress by preparing progress notes, written treatment plans and clinical summaries
• You can adapt your communication skills to provide information and health teaching to a diverse population
• You can advocate for and encourage patient participation in their plan of care
• You can support patients in the implementation and modification of their treatment plan
Salary Range: $1,564.71 - $1,866.99 per week
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 160 Horner Ave, Etobicoke, Toronto Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service).
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 134437, by Tuesday, April 23, 2019. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Foot Care Nurse/Registered Nurse/Registered Pract…
Burlington Family Health Team
Consultant, Health Services
Director of Clinical Services
peopleCare Communities Inc.
Provincial Clinical Resource Nurse
Ministry of the Solicitor General
Registered Nurse Case Managers
Beaumont Home Health and Hospice