- Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
- $1,564.71 - $1,866.99 per week
- Job Category
- Contract type
Bring your knowledge and clinical expertise to the Hamilton Wentworth Detention Centre, Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, where you will provide primary health care services to inmates with diverse health care needs, focusing on health promotion and disease prevention.
Please note: This position will be required to work flexible hours, e.g. rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service up to 24 hours a day, including evenings, weekends and statutory holidays.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will use your specialized knowledge and skills to provide patient-centred primary care to inmates. Specifically, you will:
• Provide admission and on-going assessments, diagnosis, treatment, including prescribing of medications and diagnostic tests and evaluation
• Communicate diagnosis and work with the inter-professional team in development of patient plan of care
• Advocate for and facilitate principles of self care by involving inmates in the plan of care
• Collaborate with an inter-professional team to act provide leadership to implement strategies that promote health and prevent illness
• Maintain confidentiality and security of health information in accordance with applicable legislation
• Act as a resource for patients, staff and external stakeholders
• Respond to emergency situations and implement appropriate interventions
• Practise in accordance with College of Nurses Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• Practise in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
How do I qualify?
• you are registered as a Registered Nurse Extended Class (Nurse Practitioner) in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• you have a Nurse Practitioner specialty certificate in primary health care or adult care
• You have knowledge of illness/disease theory, pharmaceuticals, diagnostic and laboratory testing, evidence-based practice and current treatment modalities
• You have knowledge of mental health and addiction treatment options
• You can interpret and apply legislation to practice (i.e., Health Care Consent Act, Personal Health Information Protection Act, Regulated Health Professions Act, etc.)
Clinical Assessment, Critical Reasoning and Analytical Skills:
• You demonstrate clinical expertise and assessment skills to elicit, interpret and utilize information from inmates and other sources
• You can respond to emergency situations and implement appropriate interventions
• You can evaluate responses to treatment and modify the treatment plan to achieve established goals
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
• You can communicate effectively and present information in a clear and concise manner
• you can document care and progress by preparing progress notes, written treatment plans and clinical summaries
• You can adapt your communication skills to provide information and health teaching to a diverse population
• You can advocate for and encourage patient participation in their plan of care
• You can support patients in the implementation and modification of their treatment plan
• You are proficient with various computer software applications and databases (i.e., spreadsheet, email, word processing)
Salary Range: $1,564.71 - $1,866.99 per week
• 1 Permanent, 165 Barton St E, Hamilton, West Region, Enhanced – Vulnerable Service Sector Check, Local Police Record Check, Intelligence Check, Credit Check
• In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 133894, by Monday April 8, 2019. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Ministry of the Solicitor General
Manager, Mental Health Services
Ministry of the Solicitor General
Hospice Residence, Director of Care
Better Living Health and Community Services
Occupational Health Nurse Coordinator
Humber River Hospital
Occupational Health Nurse
Humber River Hospital