- Health Sciences North (HSN)/Health Sciences North Research Institute (HSNRI)
- Job Category
- Healthcare Services and Wellness
- Contract type
Join one of Canada’s Top 40 Research Hospitals and Northeastern Ontario’s academic health sciences centre as Vice-President, Academic and Research Impact.
With 13 sites in Greater Sudbury and an additional 25 sites across the region where staff provides care and information technology supports, the purpose of HSN and HSNRI is to provide high quality health services, support learning and generate research that improves health outcomes for the people of Northeastern Ontario. We have 4,000 dedicated and resilient employees, 700 active volunteers, 500 highly-skilled medical staff and scientists and 2,100 learners per year including 228 students and residents of the Northern Ontario School of Medicine (NOSM).
As Vice-President, you will champion one the five key goals of the 2019-2024 Strategic Plan: to strengthen our academic and research impact. The aspiration is that we will progress as an academic health sciences centre, through regional, provincial, national and international collaborations. This new role brings together current teams from HSN and HSNRI totaling over 70 people involved in education and research activities with an annual budget exceeding $12 million.
You will lead an interdisciplinary leadership team composed of the:
- HSNRI Scientific Director;
- HSN Medical Director, Relationship with NOSM and the Northern Ontario Academic Medicine Association;
- HSN Medical Director, Labelle Innovation and Learning Centre;
- Director, ICES North.
Your portfolio will also include the Office for the Promotion of Excellence in Research and Academics (OPERA). OPERA will be composed of:
- HSNRI managers and staff associated with clinical trials and research operations, research capacity and health innovation cluster, research compliance, bioinformatics and genomics and lab operations;
- HSN managers and staff associated with the Library, the Simulation Lab, student placements as well as medical learner advisors.
You will be responsible for all HSNRI operations and the support to HSN’s 2,100 learners. You will optimize new state-of-art research and educational facilities such as HSNRI’s new $19 million HSNRI site opened in June 2017 and HSN’s $26 million Labelle Innovation and Learning Centre under construction.
You will be motivated to offer the best academic experience to learners and to provide exceptional support to medical staff and scientists in their academic and research efforts.
You will serve as resource-person to the HSNRI Board’s Research Committee, liaise with postsecondary education partners, research and economic development partners and represent HSN on the Research Committee of the Council of Academic Hospitals of Ontario (CAHO).
Leaders from Laurentian University, NOSM, Cambrian College and Collège Boréal will be involved in the annual performance goal setting and performance reviews for this role.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Committee of HSN and HSNRI reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer, you will also be responsible for a number of organizational-wide priorities including the achievement of targets set annually by the HSN Board as part of its Quality Improvement Plan (QIP).
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least a master’s degree, a medical degree or other health professional terminal degree;
- 10 years of experience in leadership roles in academic health science centres, in postsecondary education or research organizations;
- A successful track record designing research programs, securing external funding, administering research contracts, overseeing operations and leading teams;
- A proven ability to engage proactively and earn the trust of internal clients such as medical staff, scientists, faculty and learners;
- A proven ability to develop mutually beneficial and innovative partnerships with external stakeholders;
- Experience in interacting with the private sector and with government decision-makers at the municipal, provincial and federal levels;
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills and organizational savvy;
- Experience at the director, associate vice-president, vice-president, CEO, assistant deputy minister, associate dean or dean levels;
- Fluency in spoken and written English, fluency in French is an asset.
The full job description can be viewed on the HSN Careers Website.
The Search Committee will begin to review applications on March 19, 2019. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
We offer competitive salary and vacation, extended health and dental benefits, a pension plan through HOOPP and relocation allowance to assist with moving expenses.
Interested applicants are asked to apply directly to posting #19-0236 on the HSN Careers Website at hsnsudbury.ca/careers. External applicants can learn more about Sudbury by viewing the Relocating to Sudbury link on our careers portal.
More search results
Guideline Development Methodologist
Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO)
Registered Nurse (RN) - Chemotherapy
HR Associates - 329281
Complex Care Coordinator
South West Local Health Integration Network
Lead Facilitator for The MOREOB and MOREEX Progra…
Salus Global Corporation
Manager, Infectious Diseases Control – CID and Ma…
The Regional Municipality of York