- Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
- Fort Frances
- $1,367.32 - $1,707.91 per week
- Job Category
- Contract type
Are you a Registered Nurse with strong team building and leadership skills? Do you have a strong commitment to the care and well-being of others? If so, consider this rewarding opportunity to join the health care team as a Senior Nurse at the Fort Frances Jail.
Fort Frances is located in Northwestern Ontario on the Canada-United States border shared with Minnesota. The town is the judicial, medical, and business centre of the area and offers the advantages of a large city with the convenience of a small town. In Fort Frances, you will find all the amenities desired for comfortable living; fully serviced land, affordable housing, a developed industrial site and the lowest priced utilities in Northwestern Ontario. It's also a great place to raise a family; the warm, friendly people live in a relaxed and satisfying lifestyle with superb natural treasures and exciting outdoor activities, coupled with great entertainment.
Please note: This position will be required to work flexible hours, e.g., rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service up to 24 hours a day, including evenings, nights, weekends and statutory holidays.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package for permanent, full-time positions, including:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
As well, we offer a progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance, flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs, and opportunities for career advancement and specialization to our employees.
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
You will provide nursing services and maintain the operation of the Medical Office by:
• Receiving Doctor's instructions for special treatments, medications, tests, diets
• Preparing, dispensing or administering medications and treatments
• Observing patients for any change in condition and informing Medical Doctor about observed variations
• Interviewing and examining patients on admission to assess mental and physical conditions
• Giving non-prescription medication, liniments, treatments as required
• Administering First Aid treatment as required
• Counselling patients for situations such as depression and personal hygiene
• Maintaining records such as occurrences, accident and injuries, treatment cards
• Preparing documentation such as Doctor's monthly CHIP claim, Fitness for Transfer Certificate
• Ordering, controlling and keeping secure supplies, including drugs and medications
• Arranging for the provision of special meals for patients
Location: Fort Frances
How do I qualify?
• You must be registered as a Registered Nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• You have a current certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS)
• You are able to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service up to 24 hours a day
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
• You have demonstrated knowledge of general nursing theory, practices and procedures as well as comprehensive understanding of College of Nurses of Ontario standards of practice to provide nursing services
• You have knowledge of relevant legislation, including the Regulated Health Care Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, to ensure compliance with health care standards ensuring legislated patient entitlements are adhered to (i.e. consent to treatment and confidentiality of records)
• You have current clinical knowledge and expertise to assess emergency situations and implement appropriate treatment measures
• You have the ability to acquire knowledge of institutional and health care policies and procedures to ensure appropriate treatment implementation
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
• You have excellent oral and written communication skills, including health care terminology to discuss information and to chart patient treatment and progress
• You have strong interpersonal skills to advise and counsel patients on health care treatment matters
• You have well developed reasoning and analytical skills to elicit and interpret information from patients in order to evaluate and draw conclusions assist with development of treatment plans
• You are proficient with various computer software applications and tracking databases
Salary Range: $1,367.32 - $1,707.91 per week
- 1 Permanent - Full Time, 310 Nelson St, Fort Frances, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service).
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 130504, by Friday, April 19, 2019. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Ministry of the Solicitor General
Manager, Mental Health Services
Ministry of the Solicitor General
Hospice Residence, Director of Care
Better Living Health and Community Services
Occupational Health Nurse Coordinator
Humber River Hospital
Occupational Health Nurse
Humber River Hospital