Supervisor of Care
Supervisor of Care
Health Services - Long Term Care
The Region of Peel is the second-largest municipality and has undergone a major transformation during the past few decades as a dynamic, urban community with a vibrant economic base. Planning for and supporting the changing and aging demographic of our community to thrive over the next 25 years will be an immense task and opportunity. Our goal is to build a community for life that focuses on managing our growth to shape the “future Peel” as a healthy, safe and connected community, based on the cornerstones of collaboration, innovation and sustainability.
The Community for Life Annual Report will start you on your journey to learn about Peel and who we are and how we are working together to support and grow a Peel that is a Community for Life!
Our Health Services Department are looking for a Supervisor of Care to guide a team of dedicated Long-term Care professionals in striving to provide the ultimate resident experience by leading, mentoring and supporting a team to work together to achieve this goal, and celebrate the excellent work we do.
Are you an inspirational leader who promotes a culture of inclusion, high performance and continuous improvement that values agility and a commitment to quality?
Do you pride yourself in delivering programs that are client focused and impactful?
Are you a seasoned Long-term Care professional who is passionate about what they do and looking to make an impact?
This may be an opportunity for you…
Reporting to the Director of Care, you will be responsible for providing leadership, coaching and guidance to assist the staff of the Long Term Care Home in the performance of their duties. Ensuring all service is provided in accordance with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Standards, Regional Values, LTC Division policies and procedures and evidence based practice.
- Oversees the admission, transfer and discharge of residents to and from assigned units and ensures that all residents receive appropriate individualized care for their physical and emotional wellbeing and encourages their maximum independence through the activities of interdisciplinary health teams, monitors and evaluates the delivery of various paramedical services
- Acts as a role model and contributes to the development of a caring and competent team who are responsible and accountable for direct resident care activities
- Ensures care team compliance with all relevant legislation, Regional and Provincial standards and the Canadian Council on Health Services Accreditation and The Resident’s Bill of Rights
- Implements policies, procedures and programs in accordance with relevant standards and legislation to meet the changing needs of the resident and promotes improvements in long term care
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of Resident’s restorative care needs, assessment skills and medication protocols
- Directs all staff in the event of an emergency or infectious outbreak when he/she is the most senior management on site
- Works in liaison with other Department Supervisors to ensure a responsive and effective staff orientation and development program throughout the facility
- Participates in a Continuous Quality Improvement program for nursing department and paramedical services as well as all interdepartmental client service activities
- Monitors workload requirements, Risk and Infection Control reports to identify trends, seek improvements and provides follow up reports and recommendations to the Director of Care
- Ensures adherence to medical and legal standards in areas of medication control and laboratory and pharmacy services through regular review, audits and committee participation
- Demonstrates an ability to assess, investigate and resolve resident/family concerns
- Conducts performance evaluations and monitors nursing staff performance via ongoing audits of Resident Care activities and documentation records
- Available to all staff for problem consultation and guidance in problem resolution
- Recommends and/or delivers activities tailored to meet the educational needs of nursing staff, residents and families which may be accomplished via direct training, arranging for specialized training and contributing to the Homes annual review of training needs and resources
- Ensures adherence to Occupational Health and Safety practices
- Ensures that staff incidents/accidents are properly investigated in accordance with Incident Reporting Procedure
- Ensures adequate availability of nursing supplies and equipment for the nursing unit
- Performs other specific nursing programs, interdisciplinary committee work, projects and duties as assigned
- Diploma in Nursing with preference given to those who have/working towards a Bachelor of Nursing degree
- RN registration with a current certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario with previous progressive work experience in Long Term Care
- Experience in leading, supervising, motivating unionized and non-unionized staff to achieve desired results
- Leadership Education or Training with demonstrated effectiveness in managing a workforce
- Working knowledge of computers, their application and related software (PCC, POC and MDS)
- Knowledge and experience in gerontology and gerontological nursing as well as an understanding of the needs of the long term care clients
- Demonstrated knowledge of the nursing process and its application to ensure safe and appropriate resident care and an ability to communicate effectively with residents and their families on issues relating to disability, aging and death
- Experience with Long Term Care Legislation, Regulated Health Professions Act, CCHSA standards, Regional policies and procedures
- Solid communication skills in English (written and oral) to interpret legislation, prepare reports, assist in the development of policies and effectively convey information to resident care staff
- Demonstrated strengths in both interpersonal and leadership skills
We currently have 2 positions available, to view location and hours of work please visit our website at www.peelregion.ca/hr.
If this opportunity matches your qualifications and experience please apply on-line.
More search results
Registered Nurse, Operating Room
Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre
Clinical Educator - Evidence-Based Practice and P…
Runnymede Healthcare Centre - 354108
Manager Nursing, Perioperative Services
Registered Nurse – Operating Room
Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS)