Organ and Tissue Donation Coordinator - Thunder Bay
TGLN is currently seeking a highly motivated casual Organ and Tissue Donation Coordinator (OTDC) for Thunder Bay and surrounding area, with a history of excellence in clinical practice who thrives on making a difference. The incumbent will report directly to the Manager, Hospital Programs.
The OTDC will guide each step of the donation process including donor identification through referral indicators, donor suitability assessment, declaration, approach and consent with families, to the medical donor management optimizing organ yield for recipient transplantation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducts clinical assessments, clinical evaluations and clinical/medical management of the potential donor in a manner consistent with established guidelines, as well as interacts with the hospital staff to set-up the family approach process.
- Establishes collaborative approach plans with health care providers (HCP) to enable every potential donor's family has the opportunity to donate lifesaving organs and tissues for transplantation.
- Facilitates ongoing communication with the health care team as required and provides regular updates on the donation process as desired by the donor family.
Supports the health care team by requesting resources for tests or procedures required to determine medical suitability as requested by the transplant team.
Recovers past medical history from multiple sources, Health Records, Family Doctor, previous admissions to other hospital sites as part of the extensive assessment for exceptional distribution release of organs for transplantation.
- Negotiates OR resources to support the donor organ recovery surgery.
- Identifies issues for follow-up and quality control and adherence to Health Canada directives, ensuring the safety of the organ and tissue supply.
Work a variety of shifts, including on-call shifts with travel within Thunder Bay and the surrounding area.
Participation in a 24-hour call rotation.
- Performs other duties consistent with role profile, as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Nursing Diploma and/or Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required.
- Minimum four (4) years critical care and/or relevant organ and tissue donation experience an asset or a combination of equivalent experience and education.
- Compassionate, dedicated; demonstrates professional leadership skills.
- Self-directed and able to function collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to spiritual, cultural and other relevant contexts of care.
- Formal and informal educational programming experience is a definite asset.
- Ability to effectively work collaboratively with both clinical and non-clinical stakeholders at multiple levels.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications.
- Valid G driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required.
Please apply online.
More search results
Provincial Health Care Manager
Ministry of the Solicitor General
Labour Relations Officer Professional Practice-Co…
Ontario Nurses' Association
Acute/Emergency Nurse Manager
Geraldton District Hospital
Labour Relations Officer (Professional Practice/L…
Ontario Nurses' Association
Registered Nurse – Certified Diabetes Educator (C…
Regent Park Community Health Centre - 346240