Quality Improvement Specialist
Job Title: Quality Improvement Specialist
The primary function of the Quality Improvement Specialist is to ensure that indicator data collected and processed by the Nursing Quality Indicators for Research and Evaluation (NQuIRE®) data system meets informational and quality standards. The Quality Improvement Specialist will lead the investigation into and resolution of data quality issues and contribute to ensuring that NQuIRE® reports are based on the highest quality information for the Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario.
- Collaborate and contribute to ensuring that guideline implementation and monitoring activities are informed by high quality evaluation data, thereby enhancing the evidence-based culture of nursing practice and promoting nursing excellence.
- Routinely assess, monitor and track the accuracy, quality and integrity of NQuIRE® data through audit and observation of data collection, entry and processing methods for Best Practice Spotlight Organizations®.
- Robust knowledge and application of Donabedian Model to inform and support data quality and measurement activities.
- Recommend enhancements to data collection and data entry processes to improve and ensure data quality.
- Ensure that NQuIRE® reports are based on the highest quality information and recommend enhancements to data collection and data entry processes to improve and ensure data quality including timeliness.
- Conduct data validation and cleaning based on the RNAO Data Quality Framework.
- Identify and execute optimal approaches for resolving data quality issues.
- Ensure data quality needs are evaluated and validated when data collection enhancements are developed by collecting input from end users.
- Apply statistical concepts in evaluating performance metrics/indicators and make recommendations, and contribute to various RNAO departments and research projects using statistical methods.
- Work collaboratively with senior management, researchers, the evaluation team, project coordinators and IT data base/web developers and other staff as required, using strategic and tactical approaches to develop, implement, and maintain data base functionality and enhancements.
- Act as a primary resource and train other staff and stakeholders on data quality issues and approaches related to data collection, entry and processing, and champion a culture of data quality.
- Perform supporting activities for the interpretation and presentation of evaluative information through compilation, statistical analysis and reporting of indicator data.
- Produce work updates, status reports and presentations for staff and stakeholders as required.
- Assist with drafting and preparing abstracts and manuscripts for presentation and publication, or as otherwise intended by the NQuIRE® team.
- Travel is required to conduct site visits.
- Work with team members to prepare, analyze and interpret statistical and trending reports including the State of Nursing reports, and other comparative reports.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILL:
- Registered Nurse in good standing with Colleges of Nurses of Ontario.
- Master’s degree completed, or equivalent combination of preparation and experience.
- Five years experience preferred. Specialization in: statistics or operational research, mathematics, epidemiology, (health) economics, or health research methodology (HRM).
- Two or more years involvement in quality management/performance improvement or statistical analysis, or an equivalent combination.
- Knowledge of statistical methods and theory. This qualification may include but is not limited to knowledge of probability theory, mathematical statistics, data analysis, sampling theory and survey/ data system/ database methodology.
- Ability to identify methodological problems associated with survey data systems and database development or data analysis.
- Ability to identify other data repositories to assess alignment of NQuIRE® indicators.
- Ability to resolve statistical and methodological problems and apply statistical methods to practical problems associated with survey development or data analysis.
- Knowledge and/or experience using GRADE framework an asset.
- Proficiency in statistical data analysis (programming) and data mining packages SAS, SPSS, R, STATA, Excel, etc preferably with large health data sets.
- Must have some experience in statistical analysis and interpretations (from data context) including trend analysis, correlations, regressions, etc.
- Excellent technical skills including but not limited to the knowledge of information audit processes, Clinical Information / Management Systems, MS-Office products.
- Strong interest or experience in nursing best practice guideline monitoring and evaluation.
- Superior organizational skills and self-directed work ethic to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Innovating, flexible and adaptive in responding to new projects and priorities as they arise.
- Excellent analytical skills and detail-orientation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills to deal effectively with staff and stakeholders, synthesize and present information, and provide program support.
- Dexterity required to operate a computer, telephone, and other office equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English (second language of French, Spanish or Mandarin are assets).
- Required to travel to official sites for observation and assessment of data collection, including possibility of overnight stays (travel reimbursement will be provided).
- Workflow requires continuous re-prioritizing of workload, meeting multiple demands, and working overtime as required.
- Continuous concentration is required to read, screen, and appraise a large volume of information daily, prepare data tables and summary reports, and to consult as appropriate.
- Sight, touch and hearing are used to read, proofread, write, and analyze information and to answer enquiries.
- Sitting is required frequently in the job for more than 2 hours at a time to read and write information, work on the computer, answer the telephone, and attend meetings.
- Works in a climate-controlled office with some exposure to distractions, interruptions and stress from multiple demands.
- Typical conditions are such that no risk or injury is present.
If you are interested in this role, please send your Cover Letter and Resume with the job title in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your application, and qualified candidates will be contacted.