- Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
- Job Category
- Contract type
Are you a conscientious and well-organized Registered Nurse, with a strong commitment to the care and well-being of others? If so, please consider this rewarding opportunity to join the health care team with the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, Quinte Detention Centre.
The Ontario Public Service offers a competitive compensation package for permanent, full-time positions, including the following:
• Comprehensive group insurance plan
• Defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
We offer a progressive work environment that promotes work-life balance, flexible learning, mentorship, on-going training, and an opportunity for career advancement and specialization.
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Conduct health assessments for the purposes of triage and on-going care
• Plan for and provide health care treatment
• Monitor adherence to treatment plans and response to health care interventions
• Liaise with community care providers to obtain health histories and to facilitate transitional care at discharge for both remand and intermittent inmates
• Participate in case management
• Advocate for and encourage patient participation in the plan of care
• Act as a resource for patients, staff and external stakeholders by sharing your knowledge and expertise
• Work collaboratively as a member of the inter-professional team to develop, implement and evaluate patient-specific plans of care
• Contribute to health program development within the institution
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other staff members and external stakeholders
• Practice in accordance with the College of Nurses Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• Practice in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
• Provide emergency care, acute care, crisis intervention, health teaching, and counseling when required both for patients considered medically stable and unstable
Please read the following information carefully and customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad.
How do I qualify?
• You must be registered as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario and be in good standing
Hours of Work
These are full-time, permanent positions. The hours of work are 40 hours per week. You are expected to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service, up to 24 hours a day.
Nursing Knowledge and Experience
• You have knowledge of professional standards and guidelines, best practice guidelines, and nursing theories, practices and relevant legislation (such as Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Mental Health Act)
• You are able to complete a comprehensive health assessment
• You can elicit, interpret and evaluate information from patients and other sources and draw conclusions to develop treatment and care plans
• You are able to evaluate patient responses to planned interventions and to modify interventions in collaboration with the inter-professional team to achieve established goals
• You can address emergency situations and implement appropriate therapeutic interventions
Other Essential Skills
• You have excellent critical thinking and organizational skills to provide emergency, urgent and routine health care
• You have effective oral and written communication skills and health teaching skills to deal effectively with staff and clients
• You can work as a member of an inter-professional team and work with a diverse client group
Salary Range: $1,268.82 - $1,581.87 per week
- 2 Permanent - Full Time, 89 Richmond Blvd, Napanee, East Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service).
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
- Please note that as of November 1, 2018, with the implementation of the Police Record Checks Reform Act, 2015, the security screening check requirements for this position may differ from those described in this job ad.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 130033, by Friday, January 25, 2019. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Quality Improvement Specialist
Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO)
CLINICAL NURSE SPECIALIST, GERIATRICS
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences - 357192
Registered Nurse - East Coast Forensic Hospital -…
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA)
Senior Strategic Sourcer
Mount Sinai Hospital
Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services