Employment Terms: Permanent, Full-Time (10 Months)
Start Date: August, 2018
Branksome Hall, a leading independent International Baccalaureate (IB) World School for girls, challenges and inspires girls to love learning and shape a better world. Through the unique combination of well-being, outstanding academics and international mindedness, Branksome Hall students and employees become impactful leaders. The school offers a strong liberal arts curriculum that develops critical thinking and inquiry skills. Our graduates are accepted by the leading universities in Canada and around the world.
Working as an active member of the Student Support Team, and under the guidance of the Head, Student Support, the School Nurse is responsible for day-to-day operations of the Health Centre. The School Nurse assumes responsibility for assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation and documentation of student health and wellness.
The School Nurse’s regular working hours will be each Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. as well as being “on-call”. The School Nurse will be expected to be at the school until the end of the academic year in June, as set out on the faculty calendar and return to work Mid-August, when the residence students are scheduled to return to the school.
The School Nurse will also work closely with the Director of Residence with the respect to residence students, the Heads of the Junior School and Senior, Middle School and the Student Support team. The position will have some support for the administrative functions of the position as well as the support of an on-call physician.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Day to day Health Centre responsibilities including managing the Health Centre program including:
- Immunization, vaccinations, health promotion, education and instruction, counselling, urgent care, concussion management, special projects etc.
- Provide assessment and appropriate nursing care within the accepted scope of practice for illness and injury for students and urgent/emergency care for staff;
- Liaise with administration, teachers, and parents/guardians as needed regarding student care, support, illness and injury;
- Assessment and counselling of day and residence students regarding self-esteem, anxiety disorders, healthy eating, birth control, sexually transmitted diseases and make referrals as appropriate;
- Budget review and ordering of medical supplies and equipment
- Participate in weekly Student Support Team meetings.
- Reporting, Records and Documentation:
- Responsible for ensuring that the Life Threatening Allergy/Medical Concern List and Anaphylactic Emergency Response Information is up to date and available to all employees;
- Complete Accident/Incident Reports for all school related occurrences;
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date student health care records ensuring protection of confidential files;
- Review all student health forms for dietary needs, medical concerns, allergies, medication and other issues.
- Health Centre Policies and Procedures:
- Develop, implement and update as needed all Health Centre policies and protocols to ensure that practices and procedures in place are current and following best practice guidelines as regulated through the College of Nurses.
- Monitor TB status of all residence students;
- Refer and organize appointments for residence students with other medical professionals as needed;
- Organize weekly Doctor’s Clinic in the Health Centre;
- Discuss any medical needs or concerns of Residence students with their parents/guardians and if follow-up care is required;
- Submission of insurance claims and student billing.
- Assist with trips in travel preparedness for students and chaperones.
- Flu and Concussion Treatment:
- Promote and organize annual Flu Clinic for residence students and employees. Obtain signed consent and provide health teaching and resources to all participants;
- Prepare for Public Health Vaccine fridge inspection and on approval, order flu vaccine;
- Liaise with family, parents/guardians and the Student Support team on all students with suspected concussion for academic management and follow-up care.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Registered Nurse (RN);
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario with no restrictions to practice;
- Minimum five years of nursing experience;
- Must have experience working with children and adolescents and understanding of age-related growth and development;
- Motivated, resourceful and self-directed;
- Experience working independently;
- Highly organized with excellent clinical and problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated leadership with well-developed, communication and interpersonal skills;
- A demonstrated ability to provide emergency as well as routine care;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion;
- Must be knowledgeable about best practices in healthcare, with a keen interest on how these best practices impact young and adolescent girls’ health;
- Proficient computer skills and competency using existing technology and software.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with `Head Nurse’ in the subject line by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 30, 2018.
Branksome Hall is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates engaging in all parts of the recruitment and selection process at Branksome Hall.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about Branksome Hall, please visit http://www.branksome.on.ca
More search results
Guideline Development Methodologist
Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO)
Program Coordinator, Collaborative BScN Program -…
Sir Sandford Fleming College
Case Manager Registered Nurse
Manager: ICU/SDU and HART
Interior Health Authority
Coordinator – Community Withdrawal Support and Op…
Addiction Services of Thames Valley - 330984