Number of Positions: 10
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at McMaster Children’s Hospital is comprised of a 49 bed Level III NICU, a 14 bed Level IIc nursery and a neonatal transport team, providing medical and surgical care to over 1,500 neonates and their families per year and serving a broad geographic area within southern Ontario. The interdisciplinary team provides family-centered care with a strong focus on evidence-based best practice and continuous quality improvement. McMaster NICU is actively involved in research and a number of collaborative quality improvement initiatives provincially, nationally and internationally.
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is a fast paced, complex and highly acute environment. The Registered Nurse is an integral member of the interdisciplinary team, working collaboratively in the Level III NICU and Level IIc nursery. Responsibilities include the provision of high quality neonatal nursing care to patients and families and demonstrating a commitment to excellence in supporting the patient and family experience.
The department is currently looking to fill ten Regular Part Time Registered Nurse positions.
Schedule Work Hours
Days, evenings, nights, weekends, holidays
1. Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse
2. Certificate in Neonatal/Perinatal nursing or equivalent
3. Current NRP and BCLS certification
4. Experience (2 years) in a Level II Intermediate Care Nursery within the last 3 years
5. Knowledge of pre-term and full-term infant pathophysiology and the management and intervention of infants in acute care
6. Knowledge of family dynamics relating to the birth process, critical illness and death and dying
7. Demonstrated ability to provide comprehensive nursing care to acutely ill newborn and family within the neonatal unit, and in community settings
8. Demonstrated ability to teach others and knowledge of adult teaching/learning principles
9. Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills especially in stressful situations
10. Demonstrated teamwork, organization, problem-solving and conflict management skills
11. Demonstrated ability to perform well in critical high stress situations
12. Demonstrated ability to be highly motivated, self-directed and responsive to ever changing environment and patient conditions
$32.66 – $46.76 hourly
Please apply via http://hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/careers and search for Requisition# 71567