Manager - Health Protection
- Nova Scotia Health Authority
- Western Nova Scotia (flexible within Zone)
- $72 889 - $96 848 annually
- Job Category
- Healthcare Services and Wellness
- Contract type
Hours of Work
Permanent Full-Time Position; 75 hours bi-weekly
Reporting to the Director - Public Health, and working closely with the zone public health management team, the Manager is responsible for anticipating and planning the public health resources and actions as they relate to the health protection functions across the zone. S/he ensures resources are deployed to achieve consistent practice that is aligned with established standards, protocols, procedures and guidelines. This individual actively identifies emerging issues within the zone and takes action to improve quality and achieve measurable improvements that protect and promote health, while managing recruitment, orientation, performance management and change management for the team. The Manager collaborates with the other Health Protection Managers across the zones to fulfill the provincial program mandate and to seek opportunities for quality improvement in the program area.
Demonstrating leadership behaviours and capabilities, consistent with LEADS in a Caring Environment framework, which include Leads Self, Engages Others, Develops Coalitions, Achieves Results and Transforms Systems, the Manager leads a multi-disciplinary team of public health practitioners, whose work is focused on anticipating, planning for, identifying, assessing and mitigating threats to health; taking action to prevent disease and injury; promoting health and measuring outcomes across the zone. This includes reducing the incidence, morbidity and mortality of communicable diseases of public health importance and increasing the population prevalence of immunization. S/he coordinates the response to emergent issues, including communicable disease outbreaks and public health emergencies as defined by the Health Protection Act with support from the Manager - Health Protection, Science and System Performance.
* Baccalaureate degree in a health related field (e.g. nursing, public health science, health sciences, environmental health), plus five (5) to seven (7) years’ progressive leadership experience, including three (3) to five (5) years’ recent related management experience in a unionized health care/community setting with financial and human resource management
* Equivalent combination of education and 10 years’ progressive leadership experience may be considered
* Masters degree in health, or other relevant field, is preferred
* Registration, or eligible for registration with a professional body, as appropriate
* Proficiency in the core competencies for Public Health and LEADS
* Knowledge of applicable legislation and regulations (e.g. NS Health Protection Act, NS Health Authorities Act, etc)
* In depth knowledge of Public Health programs and practice related to Health Protection, including the mandate and functions in Nova Scotia
* Experience in the planning, development and evaluation of public health programs, service, and initiatives based on community assessments, data, emerging science and best practice models.
* Ability to community with a wide variety of stakeholders using a variety of methods.
* Innovative systems thinking with an understanding of working with communities
* Occasional travel throughout the province will be required
* Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred