We are seeking an innovative leader who can work in collaboration to advance our research, quality and academic missions into the future.
Reporting to the President & CEO of the Hospital/CEO of the Research Institute, the Executive Vice President (EVP),
Research, Quality & Academics is a member of the Senior Leadership Council (SLC) of the Hospital and provides
leadership, oversight and strategic direction to a diverse portfolio of health professionals and scientists in the areas
of research and development, quality improvement, professional practice, patient and family centred care and
academics. With the immediate goal of integrating research, professional practice, quality and academics at the
hospital, the long term goal is to develop, innovate and grow in these arenas.
As the individual with expert knowledge in research, professional practice, education, quality improvement and
clinical safety, the successful incumbent will nurture a sense of urgency, cultural commitment, and enthusiasm
around the concepts of discovery, continuous quality improvement, innovation and learning. Building on the passion,
commitment of staff, physicians, scientists and volunteers, the EVP leads a division dedicated to the development of
an academic health sciences organization that fosters discovery, next‑practice, learning, and exceeding legislative
and accreditation requirements.
As a natural progressive thinker, the incumbent provides leadership for the overall scientific, quality improvement and
academic mission of the Institute and the Hospital.
To assure integration of education and research activities in the Hospital, the Institute, (NOSM) and Lakehead
University, the EVP provides strategic direction in corporate visioning, planning, service excellence, and human
organizational development. The EVP assumes the primary oversight for education and other scholarly
inter‑professional activities while fostering an environment of creative collaboration with key partners that promote
the academic and scientific mission of the Hospital and the Institute.
The EVP is responsible and oversees the Hospital Division and Institute annual budgets and regularly evaluates
expenditures to ensure the Division and the Institute operate within budget. The EVP seeks and develops a variety of
internal and external funding sources in support of the Institute.
Education and Experience
* A PhD or Master's Degree is required;
* The opportunity exists for the EVP, Research, Quality and Academics to act as the Chief Nurse Executive (CNE).
Qualified applicants with a Masters or PhD in Nursing are encouraged to apply.
Working with the President & CEO and the Boards of Directors, the incumbent must be experienced and adept at strategic planning, development and implementation, appearing before Boards, Councils and Committees to present and defend complex issues. The skills required have been gained through progressive work experience in:
* A minimum of 10 years in healthcare with a diversified background that includes clinical or applied research, and experience in healthcare quality and professional practice and a demonstrated track record in progressive leadership roles;
* Expertise in assessing health care trends and emerging health care innovations to develop novel, practical approaches for delivering and improving care;
* Experience in launching and growing novel health care quality improvement ideas and initiatives with a proven record of driving sustainable change and growth;
* Effective, demonstrated leadership in advancing Patient and Family Centred Care and professional practice in a progressive environment;
* Outstanding credentials in research or academic leadership.
* A strategic, systems thinker with experience leading large scale quality improvement initiatives and transforming concepts into research designs;
* working with researchers, funding agencies and representatives from all levels of government, academia and the community;
* sourcing, recruiting and managing research and academic professionals;
* coordinating, facilitating, and advocating for collaborative research projects;
* program and policy development;
* communications and public relations.
Desirable Skills and Abilities
* Expertise in change management, quality, safety and continuous quality improvement;
* Proven leadership skills to establish broad scale, longer‑term objectives, goals, or projects, to initiate, develop, and successfully implement programs, within changing priorities, and across multiple program;
* Advanced conceptualization skills to identify opportunities or initiatives, and ability to think creatively to allow for idea integration into project plans;
* Persuasive advocacy and negotiation skills combined with the ability to influence key stakeholders, staff at all levels, representatives of other hospitals and research institutes, volunteers, and potential donors, as well as to secure funding;
* Ability to drive financial improvements through alternate service delivery options and to differentiate the organization by identifying unique opportunities to meet community expectations and achieve positive outcomes;
* Proven ability to build strong coalitions with key leaders including physicians and to develop a network of local, regional, provincial and national relations in the healthcare community, including professional associations, to identify opportunities and seek input to achieve strategic goals;
* Skilled at mentoring, teaching and coaching with a demonstrated commitment to learning, research and knowledge transfer;
* Demonstrated performance as an independent investigator and researcher with ability to secure external funding awards for research projects, staff and infrastructure;
* Skilled at conflict resolution, at dealing constructively with criticism, seeking support when needed, and at preventing systemic discrimination;
* Understanding of group interactions to move a specific agenda;
* Demonstrated record of results achievements;
* Fostering a learning environment where mistakes are considered learning opportunities;
* Experienced at providing clear expectations and accountabilities, at intervening swiftly and consistently when organizational performance is slipping, developing and respectfully challenging others in power to establish the truth or achieve goals;
* Entrepreneurial mindset and experience driving innovation and growth in a health care envirnoment.
Incumbent must be a persuasive speaker and presenter, with the ability to speak, lecture, write and read in English;
French language skill is considered an asset.
Incumbent has ability to comfortably use Microsoft Office computer applications.
Incumbent must be available to travel internationally, nationally and provincially.
The Health Sciences Centre strives to ensure the safety and security of the patients, visitors, employees and assets
financial and otherwise. As one tool in the recruitment screening process, all offers of employment to external
candidates shall be conditional upon a satisfactory Criminal Records Check (CRC) to ensure the absence of relevant
The Health Sciences Centre (HSC) is committed to delivering healthcare in a manner that is consistent with Patient
and Family Centred Care. Applicants are required to have a demonstrated knowledge, understanding and
commitment to this care philosophy.
Candidates will have demonstrated adherence to the Hospital's Code of Conduct. Regular attendance at work is
imperative, therefore, all applicants will have to demonstrate a good attendance record to be considered for this
We are an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, accommodations due to a disability are available throughout
the selection process. Additionally we are identified as an English/French speaking health sciences centre and
encourage bilingual candidates to apply.
If there are no qualified applicants for the above position, the Hospital may, at their discretion, train unqualified
Interested applicants should submit a resume outlining relative previous experience and training no later than 1630
hours on Wednesday, November 28, 2018.
Applicants must apply through our website at
More search results
Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS)
Western University (London, Ontario)
Peterborough 360 Degree Nurse Practitioner-Led Clinic
Provincial Nurse Manager
Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Manager - Health Protection
Nova Scotia Health Authority