OTDC - Clinical Responder (Multiple Vacancies)
Trillium Gift of Life Network (TGLN) is an agency of the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care responsible for the coordination of organ and tissue donation and transplantation in Ontario. Our mandate includes increasing public awareness of the importance of organ and tissue donation, education of health care professionals, and ensuring a safe and effective donation and transplant system in Ontario. Working collaboratively with our stakeholders and fostering organizational and individual growth, we value honesty, trust, respect and compassion.
TGLN is seeking seasoned, professional Organ and Tissue Donation Coordinator - Clinical Responders (OTDC-CR). Reporting directly to the Manager, Hospital Programs, the OTDC-CR guides each step of the donation process once dispatched, including donor suitability assessment, declaration, approach and consent with families, to the medical donor management optimizing organ yield for recipient transplantation. This exciting position at TGLN provides an opportunity to save and enhance lives through organ donation.
We are recruiting for the following positions:
- Full-time position for GTA (2 permanent vacancies)
- 0.5 part-time position for Ottawa/Kingston (permanent)
- 0.5 part-time position for Ottawa/Kingston (1 year contract)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides on-site or remote support to health care professionals and families throughout the donation process.
- Conducts clinical assessment, clinical evaluation and clinical management of the potential donor, as well as interacting with the hospital staff to set-up the family approach process.
- Establishes collaborative approach plans with health care providers (HCP) to enable every potential donor's family the opportunity to donate lifesaving organs and tissues for transplantation.
- Works with health care team to medically manage the donor in a manner consistent with established guidelines to optimize organ function.
- Recovers past medical history from multiple sources, Health Records, Family Doctor, previous admissions to other hospital sites as part of the extensive assessment for exceptional distribution release of organs for transplantation.
- Liaise with the Clinical Services Coordinator (CSC) in the Provincial Resource Centre (PRC) to optimize the efficiency of individual organ and tissue evaluation and placement, as well the coordination of necessary surgical recovery services.
- Supports the health care team by requesting resources for tests or procedures required to determine medical suitability as requested by the transplant team.
- Maintains accuracy, completeness and consistency of proper documentation of case management actions throughout the process consistent with Health Canada Guidelines.
- Responsible for consent discussion in-person or via telephone.
- Travel as required for on-site donation support during required shift hours including weekends and statutory holidays as per schedule needs. Flexibility with changing shift times may be required to meet clinical needs of regions for donation.
- Work a variety of 12 hour shifts including days, weeknights and weekends.
- Participation in on-call shifts as per schedule requirements.
- Ability to travel within the donor catchment area.
- Performs other duties consistent with role profile, as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Nursing Diploma and/or Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required.
- Minimum three (3) years critical care and/or relevant organ and tissue donation experience an asset.
- Compassionate, dedicated; professional leadership skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-directed and able to function collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team.
- Sensitive to spiritual, cultural and other relevant contexts of care.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work collaboratively with clinical stakeholders.
- Excellent demonstrated communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft applications.
- Valid G driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required.
Please submit your application online by November 16, 2018.