Registered Nurse (Family medicine)
West Durham Family Health Team -Full-time Family Practice Nurse Job
Available Immediately – October 1st, 2018
The Family Practice Nurse will work in close collaboration with physicians and other interdisciplinary health professionals including Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Social Workers, Dietitian and Pharmacist. As a vital member of the team, the Registered Nurse is responsible for delivering quality nursing care to patients with a focus on assessment, health education, disease prevention, as well as the early identification and support for chronic health conditions.
- Certificate of Competence and current membership with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
- BScN preferred
- Current CPR or basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) registration
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience providing patient care to patients of all ages in a comprehensive Family Practice or relevant Ambulatory care setting.
- 3-5 years’ experience providing patient care across the spectrum of problems encountered in Family Medicine/Primary Care
- Demonstrated achievement of good working relationships with colleagues, professional staff and the interprofessional team
- Previous experience with an electronic medical record (EMR) program or willingness to learn electronic record keeping using a clinical management system (CMS)
- Highly developed ability to organize time and set priorities effectively
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to make clinical decisions within professional domain
- Demonstrated leadership and strong interpersonal skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent decision making, problem recognition, problem solving skills, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work in an inter-professional team environment and implement best practices in patient care
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in a very active work environment
Roles and Responsibilities:
This is not intended as an all-inclusive list, but rather a sample of the duties and responsibilities required of the position. Duties and responsibilities may vary over time.
- Systematically assess patients’ physical and psychosocial needs
- Assist patients and their families in identifying resources to maximize the patient’s health
- Perform direct clinical care to patients including procedures such as: immunizations, throat swabs, TB skin test, suture removal, wound dressing, ear syringing, blood pressure monitoring, etc.
- Assist other team members with clinical procedures, etc.
- Perform telephone patient triage and monitoring within the clinic setting as required
- Provide appropriate and accurate telephone assessment advice and follow-up (eg. Discuss test results, test preparations, medications, etc) as necessary
- Provide health education, health promotion, counseling to patients and their families across the continuum of care including immunization, chronic disease management, well baby and family care
- Report and record accurately and appropriately, using electronic charting
- Initiate appropriate action in response to changing patient needs and collaborate with the interprofessional team to assist patients
- Arrange appropriate follow-up, referrals, appointments and investigations according to established procedures.
- Collaborate on the design and delivery of chronic disease prevention and management programs. Assist in monitoring and evaluating the success in achieving CDM program objectives.
- Assist in coordinating programs and arranging follow-up care
- Collect accurate and comprehensive patient-related information and document this information in the electronic clinic management system.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly reports for the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC)
- Willingness to routinely participate in staff meetings
- Help patients to identify and use health resources
- Support team health care programs including Diabetes, Smoking Cessation, COPD, etc. and deliver health education programs for patients
- Participate in the educational process of other health team members and students of all disciplines
- Participate in the orientation of new staff members and students
- Actively seeks out formal and informal opportunities to enhance knowledge and expertise.
- Work with the team to develop collaborative approaches to family practice for the management of clinical problems in primary care
- Establish, promote and maintain good relations with patients and staff
- Support and maintain the goals and objectives of the West Durham Family Health Team
- Communicate effectively with patients, team members and external agencies involved in the patient circle of care
If you enjoy working in a team and collaborative environment providing patient care and health promotion education, please e-mail your resume and cover letter immediately to:
Andrea Petroff, Executive Director, West Durham Family Health Team
For More Information about our team, visit our website at:
Thank you in advance for your interest. Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
More search results
Registered Nurse, Operating Room
Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre
Clinical Educator - Evidence-Based Practice and P…
Runnymede Healthcare Centre - 354108
Manager Nursing, Perioperative Services
Registered Nurse – Operating Room
Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS)