- Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
- $1,613.79 - $1,887.29 per week
- Job Category
- Contract type
Are you a caring and dedicated nurse? Are you passionate about providing excellent health care? Do you have excellent assessment and problem-solving skills?
If so, then consider this rewarding opportunity with the Ontario Police College at the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.
In this unique environment, you will provide nursing services to the staff and students at the Ontario Police College. You will conduct health assessments, provide general care and treatments and offer support and health teaching to clients.
• This position is on-call 0 to 40 hours per week with no guaranteed minimum amount of hours
• This position will be scheduled to work within the College's hours of operation (7am to 6pm)
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Provide clinical and nursing care and first aid treatment to staff and students
• Dispense non-prescription drugs and preparations, as indicated by symptoms, and/or administers prescription drugs and injections according to physician's instructions
• Maintain statistics and records, and complete reports and forms related to health services
• Estimate required budget for medical supplies, make recommendations and purchase approved supplies, as needed
• Arrange for staff tests on regular basis or as a result of a particular occurrence, e.g., lead level, audio-metric, disease carriers
• Ensure the security and safety of the health care services area, equipment, pharmaceuticals and medical supplies and medical records; conduct sanitary and safety inspections of premises
• Assess client conditions/needs based on interviews, physical assessments or other information gathering means
• Assist in the development and implementation of health care treatment plans utilizing medical directives, administering/monitoring medications, arranging diagnostic tests, obtaining consents in consultation with client, physician and/or Nurse Practitioner, as required
• Report occupational injuries resulting in loss of time at work and complete necessary documents/reports
• Perform venipuncture in accordance with medical directives and administer immunizations per the public health protocol
How do I qualify?
• You are a Registered Nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• You are currently certified in Basic Cardiac Life Support
Nursing Knowledge and Experience
• You have knowledge of nursing theories, practices and procedures in order to provide general nursing and health care services to staff and student
• You have experience administering treatment, first aid, and medication
• You are able to understand and interpret relevant legislation (i.e. Regulated Health Care Professional Act, Health Care Consent Act) to ensure compliance
Interpersonal and Communication (Oral and Written) Skills
• You can liaise/collaborate with physicians and other health care professionals on client health care, treatment and discharge plans
• You can elicit information from clients, advise/counsel clients about health care treatments, and interpret or clarify information about health care treatment
• You can exercise diplomacy when responding to complaints or concerns
• You have writing skills to document client treatment and progress
• You are able to present health material in a classroom setting
Problem Solving Skills
• You can interpret information from clients and other sources to identify health care problems and develop health care treatment plans
• You are able to evaluate client response to health care intervention and work with others to determine whether to continue or modify interventions
• You can assess emergency situations and determine appropriate treatment measures (i.e. emergency first aid, basic cardiac life support, and sending individual to hospital)
• You are proficient with computer applications, including word processing to prepare reports and documents
Salary Range: $1,613.79 - $1,887.29 per week
- 1 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 12 months, 10716 Hacienda Rd, Aylmer, West Region, General Screening Requirement
- Please note that as of November 1, 2018, with the implementation of the Police Record Checks Reform Act, 2015, the security screening check requirements for this position may differ from those described in this job ad.
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 128815, by Thursday, October 18, 2018. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Registered Nurse, Operating Room
Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre
Clinical Educator - Evidence-Based Practice and P…
Runnymede Healthcare Centre - 354108
Manager Nursing, Perioperative Services
Registered Nurse – Operating Room
Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS)