- Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
- 1,268.82 - $1,581.87 per week
- Job Category
- Contract type
Are you a conscientious and well-organized Registered Nurse, with a strong commitment to the care and well-being of others? If so, please consider this rewarding opportunity to join the health care team at the Sudbury Jail.
Please note: This position will be required to work flexible hours, e.g. rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 24 hours per day, 7 days per week service, including evenings, nights, weekends and statutory holidays.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit package plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization through a wide range of career fields
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Conduct health assessments for the purposes of triage and on-going care
• Plan for and provide health care treatment
• Monitor adherence to treatment plans and response to health care interventions
• Liaise with community care providers to obtain health histories and to facilitate transitional care at discharge for both remand and intermittent inmates
• Participate in case management
• Advocate for and encourage patient participation in the plan of care
• Act as a resource for patients, staff and external stakeholders by sharing your knowledge and expertise
• Work collaboratively as a member of the inter-professional team to develop, implement and evaluate patient-specific plans of care
• Contribute to health program development within the institution
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other staff members and external stakeholders
• Practise in accordance with the College of Nurses Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• Practise in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
• Provide emergency care, acute care, crisis intervention, health teaching, and counseling when required both for patients considered medically stable and unstable
How do I qualify?
• You are currently a registered nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• You are able to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 24 hours per day, 7 days per week service
Nursing Knowledge and Experience
• You have knowledge of professional standards and guidelines, best practice guidelines, and nursing theories, practices and relevant legislation (such as Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Mental Health Act)
• You are able to complete a comprehensive health assessment
• You can elicit, interpret and evaluate information from patients and other sources and draw conclusions to develop treatment and care plans
• You are able to evaluate patient responses to planned interventions and to modify interventions in collaboration with the inter-professional team to achieve established goals
• You can address emergency situations and implement appropriate therapeutic interventions
Other Essential Skills
• You have excellent critical thinking and organizational skills to provide emergency, urgent and routine health care
• You have effective oral and written communication skills and health teaching skills to deal effectively with staff and clients
• You can work as a member of an inter-professional team and work with a diverse client group
Salary Range: $1,268.82 - $1,581.87 per week
- 1 Permanent - Full-Time, 181 Elm St, Sudbury, North Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Vulnerable Service Sector (VSS) check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Credit Check
- Please note that as of November 1, 2018, with the implementation of the Police Record Checks Reform Act, 2015, the security screening check requirements for this position may differ from those described in this job ad.
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 128832, by Friday, October 19, 2018. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Registered Nurse, Operating Room
Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre
Clinical Educator - Evidence-Based Practice and P…
Runnymede Healthcare Centre - 354108
Manager Nursing, Perioperative Services
Registered Nurse – Operating Room
Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS)