Advanced Practice Clinical Educator – Perioperative Services
Monday - Friday Days
On August 1, 2017, Providence Healthcare, St. Joseph’s Health Centre and St. Michael’s Hospital integrated to form a new health network. United, the three organizations serve patients, residents and clients across the full spectrum of care, spanning primary care, secondary community care, tertiary and quaternary care services to post-acute through rehabilitation, palliative care and long-term care, while investing in world-class research and education. This is an important and exciting milestone for each of our organizations and the people we care for as we work towards our vision of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
If you are a strategic and inspiring leader with a passion for partnership, innovation and excellence, St. Joe's needs you to make our community one of the healthiest in Canada. A strong emphasis on quality practice supports the creation of an innovative practice structure that further supports our commitment to Patient and Family-Centred Care through an Interprofessional Collaborative Care Delivery Model. Come join us as we co-create a different future for health.
In your role as the Advanced Practice Clinical Educator (APCE) for Perioperative Practice, you will be accountable for the planning, leading, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive educational program for all members of the interprofessional team. Reporting to the Collaborative Practice Leader, you will work in collaboration with others on the leadership team within the Perioperative Services team. You will work to promote clinical excellence in patient and family centred care (PFCC) utilizing your knowledge of evidence based practices working in collaboration with members of the interprofessional team. As the successful candidate, you will continuously role model and mentor others to achieve success. You are an energetic person who takes pride in building strong and effective interpersonal relationships.
As the successful candidate, you will lead staff and support program development in the Perioperative areas as an educator, consultant, researcher, facilitator, change agent and leader. Working with the Corporate Advanced Clinical Practice Educators and unit based Advanced Practice Clinical Educators, you will plan, develop, implement and evaluate the program specific orientation and ongoing education programs. Your knowledge and expertise in perioperative nursing, best practice guidelines for perioperative patients, PFCC and interprofessional collaboration will make you an ideal candidate for this role. Your philosophy of education promotes a positive and continuous learning climate and is enhanced by your enthusiasm and innovation in patient care and clinical education. You will use research to continually drive quality improvement by engaging with the interprofessional team to assess, plan, implement and evaluate change initiatives. As a role model of professional behavior, you will be instrumental in creating a professional climate within St. Joe’s to enable the organization to achieve its vision as the Best Community Teaching Health Centre in Canada.
- Plan, deliver and evaluate orientation and continuing education to members of the interprofessional team in the Perioperative areas including Operating room, Ambulatory Care, Cystoscopy, Endoscopy and the Labor and Delivery OR;
- Collaborate with and support orientation and preceptor-ship for clinical experiences of learners;
- In partnership with the preceptors, arrange for the provision of education and competency testing for Delegated Controlled Acts, advanced nursing competencies and other unit specific skills;
- Monitor and evaluate individual integration of learning into clinical practice and partner with individual members of the interprofessional team to establish recommendations and plans for improvement and/or achievement of clinical excellence;
- Contributes to identified clinical performance issues of Perioperative staff;
- Supports the staff performance appraisal and performance management process;
- Evaluate and monitor proper and safe use of clinical equipment;
- Participate in program committees as required;
- Participate in regional educational and planning activities when required;
- Facilitates teambuilding and leadership development for the program;
- Maintains flexibility when managing multiple roles and responsibilities;
- Role models and promotes the concept of lifelong learning;
- Seeks opportunities to develop staff in various roles;
- Support the integration of the Electronic Medical Record and Clinical Informatics
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing required.
- Master’s Degree in Nursing or related field required or currently enrolled with completion within two (2) years.
- Formal training in Adult Education required.
- Post diploma perioperative course required.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Canadian Nurses Association Certificate in Perioperative Nursing required CPN(C).
- ORNAC and AORN membership considered an asset.
- Minimum of five years recent, relevant clinical and educational experience in Perioperative Practice is required.
- Strong knowledge of ORNAC, AORN, PIDAC, CSGNA, CSA standards.
- Strong ability to work with various computer programs, i.e. Microsoft Office and presentation software.
- Demonstrated competence in the design, delivery and evaluation of educational programs for staff in a health care environment (Perioperative practice preferred).
- Demonstrated skills in the use of research in the practice setting, clinical education, planning, consultation and facilitation.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a system to validate learning, and ensure that practice changes are measured, sustained and improve outcomes.
- A track record of ensuring evidence based research, and evolving recognized standards are used to guide practice changes.
- Strong communication skills and ability to establish positive relationships with all staff and physicians on the team is required.
- Excellent oral and written abilities required.
- Satisfactory attendance record required.
WHEN APPLYING, PLEASE INCLUDE THE JOB TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE.
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note while we value all applicants only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
More search results
Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS)
Western University (London, Ontario)
Peterborough 360 Degree Nurse Practitioner-Led Clinic
Provincial Nurse Manager
Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Manager - Health Protection
Nova Scotia Health Authority