Health Care Manager
- Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
- Job Category
- Healthcare Services and Wellness
- Contract type
Health Care Manager
Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your knowledge of health care as well as your strong leadership skills? Consider bringing your expertise and experience to the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services’ Sarnia Jail as a Health Care Manager, where you will oversee the delivery of health care services to inmates with diverse needs.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will use your management and leadership skills, coupled with your knowledge of health care processes to oversee the delivery of patient-centred primary and mental health care to inmates.
Specifically, you will:
• Provide leadership to a multidisciplinary team of health care professionals to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of quality health care services and programs
• Manage the unit, and provide direction to staff to ensure compliance to both ministry and professional standards
• Ensure the efficient use of human, physical and financial resources to meet or exceed the quality of care expectations
Support a values-based and inclusive team through technical, administrative and operational direction to staff
• Manage the pharmacy program, including ordering, reconciling and distributing
• Develop, plan and implement the delivery of health care services education programs for patients and staff ensuring adherence to both ministry and professional standards, thus ensuring a quality management framework
• Monitor and take actions to ensure patient safety, including reporting and conducting investigations of unsafe practices, abuse or professional misconduct, and documenting incidents in accordance to ministry policy, the College of Nurses of Ontario standards and applicable legislation and regulations
• Maintain records and statistics to identify trends and developments that have critical program/service delivery
• Provide professional expertise and consultative advice to the Superintendent and other managers involved in operational delivery
How do I qualify?
• You are currently registered as a Registered Nurse in good standing with the Colleges of Nurses of Ontario
Leadership and Management Skills
• You can provide leadership to a multidisciplinary health care team
• You can plan, co-ordinate and direct the day-to-day delivery of health care services in a unionized environment
• You are competent in financial and administrative procedures in order to reconcile and report on fiscal, material resources and annual budgets
• You have knowledge of quality management and continuous improvement practices
• You have knowledge of basic project management principles and methodologies to meet operational program deliverables
• You have knowledge of human resources practices, policies and collective agreements with ability to apply collective agreement provisions and policies to work activities
Nursing Knowledge and Expertise
• You have knowledge of health care administration and evidence-based health care practices
• You have proven knowledge and competency in the application of the College of Nurses professional standards and practices to supervise nursing services within a correctional environment
• You can interpret and apply knowledge of related legislation such as Regulated Health Professions Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and Mental Health Act
Other Essential Skills
• You have proven interpersonal, oral communication and conflict resolution skills to provide consultation as well as resolve issues with stakeholders and staff
• You have written communication skills to prepare reports
• You have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills as well as demonstrated good judgement
• You are proficient with computer software applications
Salary Range: $68,671 - $98,950 per year
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 24 months (with possible extension), 700 Christina St N, Sarnia, West Region, General Screening Requirement
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 125539, by Tuesday, August 21, 2018. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.