Supervisor, Supervised Injection Service
- City of Toronto
- $87,887.80 - $103,248.60 / Year
- 2307256 X
- Job Category
Supervisor, Supervised Injection Service
Job Classification Title SUPERVISOR SUPERVISED INJECTION SERVICE
Requisition # 2307256 X
Division Public Health
Section Communicable Disease Control
Work Location 277 VICTORIA ST.
Job Stream Health
Job Type Permanent, Full-Time
Salary/Rate $87,887.80 - $103,248.60 / Year
Hours of Work (bi-weekly) 70.00
Shift Information Monday to Friday - 35 Hours/week
Wage Grade 6.5
Job Code (PSG) TM2427
Number of Positions Open 1
Posting Date 13-Jul-2018
Expiry date 02-Aug-2018
Reporting to the Manager, Needle Exchange, this position provides oversight to the Supervised Injection Service (SIS) at The Works, including supervision of relevant staff, ensuring that the requirements of the Federal Exemption to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act are met, and is responsible for developing medical directives.
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program-specific requirements.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises staff activities, assesses performance and provides ongoing consultation, direction and guidance to staff as they relate to the SIS and other subprograms, including needle exchange, methadone and other harm reduction activities where necessary and appropriate.
- Supervises the day-to-day operation of all assigned staff, including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provides input into and administers the assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Plans, implements and evaluates program policies and procedures, and develops and implements Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) Indicators and other quality assurance and improvement programs and services for the SIS and assists in the development of same for needle exchange, methadone and other subprograms.
- Authorizes medical directives related to the SIS in conjunction with the Associate Medical Officer of Health (AMOH) and assists in the development, implementation and evaluation of medical directives.
- Monitors quality assurance measures in relation to medical directives as required by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario and the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Liaises with the College of Nurses of Ontario in the preparation of approved medical directives and related policies and procedures.
- Provides clinical service to the clients of The Works and SIS as needed, including, but not limited to, STI management, appropriate vaccinations, wound care, overdose response and other medical emergency interventions, as needed.
- Initiates opioid-assisted treatment for clients of the SIS, as appropriate.
- Provides referrals to medical specialists, as needed, as well as community and social agencies.
- Provides consultation to staff regarding the management and follow-up of specific clinical situations and program delivery issues.
- Baccalaureate degree in Nursing from a recognized university.
- Current certification from the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Experience in a primary care setting or urgent care settings.
- Experience working with people who use drugs, homeless and under-housed communities, people with mental health issues and other relevant populations.
- Experience in supervision and/or leadership of staff, staff training and evaluations.
- Knowledge of harm reduction with a trauma-informed care approach to working with clients.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals and organizations within the community.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be willing to obtain a licence to prescribe methadone within 1 year of hiring date.
- Knowledge of sexually transmitted diseases, wound care and resuscitation procedures.
- Possession of a valid Class "G" Ontario Driver's Licence and ability to pass the test for and qualify to receive a City Equipment Operator's Licence.
- Knowledge of collective agreements, City guidelines and policies, applicable statutes, municipal by-laws, and relevant legislation, including Employment Standards Act and Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- A current Nurse Practitioner Master's Degree or Certificate of Competence in the Extended Class from an educational program recognized by the College of Nurses of Ontario would be an asset.
- Entitled to practice with restrictions due to incompletion of certification in provision of controlled substances MAY be accepted depending on overall experience and skill related to this position if the candidate agrees to complete this training within 6 months of hire date.
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Supervisor, Supervised Injection Service within our Toronto Public Health Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2307256 X, by August 2, 2018.
Accommodation: If you are an individual who requires accommodation, due to disability under the Ontario Human Rights Code, to apply for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting job ID #2307256 and the job classification title. The City is committed to providing Code-protected accommodation throughout its hiring process. Please visit Hiring Policies and Statements for further details.