Integrated Care Manager
Queen’s University is seeking an experienced Registered Nurse for the role of Integrated Care Manager, who will support student well-being initiatives across campus. Reporting to the Executive Director, Student Wellness Services, the Integrated Care Manager will manage the delivery of clinical services provided by the intake team and the clinical health team, coordinate the intake, care, and movement of students through SWS, and support complex student needs through case management and strong working relationships with campus and community partners.
This position is a key member of the Student Wellness Services leadership team, and offers the opportunity to work Monday to Friday during typical workday hours in a university campus setting. You will manage a small team, while working within a large, well-resourced interdisciplinary team. Student Wellness Services is a highly collaborative environment that serves to optimize the physical, mental, and social dimensions of health across a diverse student population.
If your skills and experience meet our requirements, and you are looking to contribute as a key member of a multidisciplinary team, we encourage you to apply!
- Work collaboratively as a member of an integrated, multidisciplinary team of professionals to ensure the provision of high quality, holistic, student-centered health and wellness services.
- As a member of the SWS management team, contributes to the strategic planning for SWS.
- Provide clinical direction and supervision to the nurses and clinical assistants, and oversee the delivery of clinical nursing services. Oversee the developing interdisciplinary intake team (nurses, social workers, counsellors, occupational therapists), including management of staff and service delivery.
- Lead the triaging of students, provide crisis intervention, education, consultation and referrals related to physical, mental, and sexual health, and extenuating circumstances.
- Plans, prioritizes and manages work, providing strategic and tactical advice, guidance and coaching. Identifies the need for staff resources, participates on staffing committees, and makes effective recommendation regarding employee selection.
- Assesses staff training and development needs, and ensures that employees receive training required to improve and sustain successful performance.
- Manages performance by establishing performance standards, reviewing and evaluating performance and conducting formal performance reviews on an ongoing basis.
- Investigates, addresses and resolves employee/labour relations issues, including disciplinary matters. Makes decisions or effective recommendations on matters involving possible discipline, discharge and probationary termination.
- Lead the implementation of processes and practices to increase efficiency in the flow of students through the service and the integration of service delivery.
- Oversee care and provide case management for students with chronic or complex needs due to disability, illness, or injury and ensure efficient movement through the service for these students. Provide follow-up and referrals as appropriate.
- Liaise and collaborate with other SWS team members regarding students of concern and follow up with students / SWS team members as appropriate to ensure care needs are met.
- Support students taking medical leaves of absence and their transition out of and back into to the academic environment.
- Liaise and partner with hospitals, community agencies, and campus partners related to coordination of service delivery and movement of students between service providers.
- Work with campus partners to ensure at-risk students receive timely and coordinated care.
- Develop and maintain current directory of campus and community heath and wellness resources, and provide expertise to staff and students about community services and referrals.
- Organize and facilitate professional development for the clinical health services team and collaborative educational opportunities and training for all SWS staff.
- Act as a point of contact and subject matter expert for questions, concerns, or complaints from parents, students or staff.
- Provide direct support to students in distress on an as needed basis.
- Ensure compliance with Infection Prevention and Control policies. Responsible for procedures and training.
- Participate in development and implementation of evidence-informed policies, protocols and practices related to quality assurance, risk management and service delivery.
- In collaboration with Executive Director take on high-level budgetary responsibilities and work to optimize revenues.
- Participate on health and safety related committees and university projects as a subject matter expert, as agreed upon with Executive Director.
- Support and oversee clinical placements for health care students.
- Provide information and training to ensure compliance with the Personal Health Information Protection Act and the Mental Health Act.
- Act as resource for EMR (OSCAR) use related to service coordination and delivery.
- Provide after hours back-up to the Executive Director.
- Other responsibilities as assigned in support of SWS.
- Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing degree
- Registered and in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Minimum 5 years experience in clinical practice working with clientele in areas of acute illness, sexual and reproductive health, and mental health
- Minimum of 2 years experience working as a Case Manager, Care Co-ordinator, Community Liaison or equivalent position
- Minimum 3 years experience in a leadership or management role with supervisory, budget, and service delivery responsibilities
- Certification in Infection Prevention and Control or willing to take course to be certified
- Experience with risk assessment, crisis intervention, and support of individuals with suicidal ideation
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams and in inter-professional practice.
- Experience with post-secondary setting or with youth / young adults in the 16-24 age range
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening will be required
- Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Sound knowledge of legislation including PHIPA, Mental Health Act, AODA, human rights, infection prevention and control, and other relevant provincial and federal health legislation
- Student-oriented approach to service delivery and passion for working with in an inter-professional team to delivery high quality services to students
- Demonstrated excellence in critical thinking, problem solving, communication, change management and conflict resolution
- Strong skills in human service and advocacy work
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, to work effectively with a wide variety of individuals, including students, parents, faculty, staff, university administrators and community partners
- A solid understanding of students’ experience in post-secondary educational environments
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, physicians, patients and the interdisciplinary health care team
- Strong understanding of health information software and use of electronic health records
- Ability to work and make decisions independently and under pressure
- Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate services and care delivery
- Crisis intervention skills
- Ability to adapt to change and to respond to situations as they arise
- Computer skills and ability to utilize electronic health records
- Develop and articulate goals and strategy for the intake team and nursing services
- Make strategic decisions required in the development and implementation of initiatives and programs within Student Wellness Services. Identify opportunities and challenges to further the goals, vision and values of Student Wellness Services
- Delegate responsibilities to staff within nursing services and the intake team
- Make budgetary and resource allocation decisions, including determining priorities regarding optimizing services and programs in a fixed-resource environment
- Make human resource decisions, including recruitment and selection of new members of staff. Decisions regarding staff performance, determining whether staff are performing duties appropriately, and if not, deciding how best to remediate the identified performance deficits. Decisions regarding allocating workload
- Determine triaging of students into the service and support a team in decision making related to triage
- Determine support required for students and ensure efficient access to these supports or through referral
- Determine most efficient way to deliver services and to move students through the service.
- Determine level of risk of presenting student and next steps to manage risk
- Evaluates job candidates and makes effective recommendations on suitable hires
- Makes decisions and/or effective recommendations regarding transfers and promotions
- Evaluates employee performance and decides on appropriate training or coaching to address lack of proficiency in carrying out responsibilities, or remedial action for staff disciplinary situations
- Assesses investigation outcome of grievances and makes effective recommendations on appropriate course of action or next steps on grievances
- Makes effective recommendations on level of discipline up to discharge and probationary termination
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
More search results
Manager, Health Care Services
Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Director, International Affairs & Best Practice G…
Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO)
University of Windsor
Manager - Clinical Practice & Education
CLOSING THE GAP HEALTHCARE GROUP - 350356