Director of Nursing and Patient Care
- Shouldice Hospital
- Job Category
- Contract type
- The Director of Nursing and Patient Care is responsible to the Managing Director and the Chief Medical Officer for the management of patient care within the Hospital.
- Provides strategic leadership and direction to nursing services supporting the patient experience while managing the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of overall operations of the Nursing Department (Operating Room, In-Patient Care Unit), Pharmacy and Lab.
- Planning, development, implementation, evaluation and maintenance of progressive and comprehensive programs, policies and procedures to ensure the highest standard of care for patients while ensuring all current applicable federal, provincial and regional standards, guidelines and regulations are met.
- Promotion of effective relationships within the inter-professional team, while coordinating and supervising care delivery, providing clinical guidance and supporting development of staff in a resourceful and effective manner.
- Provide performance management including the ongoing evaluation of performance and the development of skills and competencies required to achieve Shouldice Hospital’s vision and strategies.
- Ensure performance reviews are completed with coaching and managing of staff with performance issues.
- Provide opportunities and supports staff education and development of annual learning plans.
- Adherence to contract management and ensuring the achievement of service standards and financial targets.
- Manage appropriate scheduling/staffing/skill mix for delivery of nursing services and identify skills and/or knowledge gaps relative to those service delivery needs.
- Manage Union relationship, including CA conformance, grievance management and negotiation participation.
- Manage Pharmacy operations and oversee/report all aspects of quality metrics.
- Facilitate and maintain team development and succession planning.
- Baccalaureate RN required, holding a current professional license to practice in Ontario. Master’s Degree in Nursing or Healthcare Management preferred.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of Canadian Hospital related leadership and management experience.
- Knowledge of current Hospital specific nursing and medical practices, procedures and community standards.
- Experience with paper chart transition to EMR.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Total commitment to providing world-class patient experiences.
- Significant familiarity of employee and labour relations. ONA Contract experience an asset.
- Knowledge of Pharmacy accreditation standards and quality/risk management/infection control practices.
- Well-developed analytical, statistical, planning and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, motivational and team building skills.
- Active Committee participation (JOH&S, Patient Care, Chart, Union Negotiating).
- Working knowledge of medical and nursing materials management.
All qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.