Mental Health Nurse
- Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
- Job Category
- Contract type
Bring your knowledge and clinical expertise to provide mental health care in the role of Mental Health Nurse with the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services at the Niagara Detention Centre.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will use your specialized knowledge and skills to provide patient-centered mental health care to inmates.
Specifically, you will:
• conduct mental health assessments for the purposes of triage and on-going care
• plan and implement treatment plans
• monitor adherence and response to treatment plans and health care interventions
• liaise with community care providers to obtain mental health histories and facilitate transitional care at discharge
• lead case management by initiating patient-specific plans of care
• coordinate care with other members of the health care team, such as primary care, psychiatry, social work and psychology
• utilize your sound knowledge of crisis prevention and intervention
• contribute to mental health program development within the institution
• establish and maintain positive working relationships with other staff members and external stakeholders
• share your knowledge and expertise with other staff members
• practice in accordance with College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• practice in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
Please read the following information carefully and customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad.
How do I qualify?
• You must be registered as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario and be in good standing
• The successful candidate will be required to be registered for a mental health nurse certification program upon job offer and complete certification requirements within a specified period of time
The ministry will accept the following certification or proof of enrollment:
• Canadian Nurses Association – Current Psychiatric and Mental Health Certification
• Centre for Addiction and Mental Health - Concurrent Disorders Certification
• Accredited Colleges in Canada – Mental Health Certification
Hours of Work
This is a full-time, permanent position You are expected to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service, up to 24 hours a day.
Nursing and Mental Health Knowledge and Experience
• You have in-depth knowledge of mental illness, mental health nursing theory, community mental health resources, evidence-based practices and current treatment options acquired through enrolment in/completion of a post-diploma/post-degree certificate program in mental health, and supplemented by continuing education in mental health/psychiatry
• You can interpret and apply relevant legislation (such as the Mental Health Act, Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Personal Health Information Protection Act)
• You have knowledge of mental health evidence-based practices and current treatment options as well as experience completing comprehensive mental health assessments
• You can elicit, interpret and evaluate information from patients and other sources and draw conclusions to develop treatment and care plans
• You are able to evaluate patient responses to planned interventions and to modify interventions in collaboration with the inter-professional team to achieve established inmate goals
• You can address emergency situations and implement appropriate therapeutic interventions
Effective Communication Skills
• You can present information in a clear and concise manner as well as adapt your communication skills to provide information and health teaching to a diverse population
• You can work collaboratively with others, such as the inter-professional team, correctional staff and community agencies
• You are an effective patient advocate and can advocate for and encourage patient participation in their plan of care
• You have oral and written communication skills to clearly communicate care and progress through documentation, including progress notes, written care plans, clinical and administrative summaries
• You are able to support patients in working towards achieving identified goals
Salary Range: $1,367.32 - $1,707.91 per week
- 1 Permanent, 1355 Uppers Ln, HWY 58, Thorold, West Region, Enhanced - CPIC, VSS, PIP, Niche/RMS, Credit
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 121894, by Tuesday, April 17, 2018. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Lakeridge Health Corporation - 226239
Health Care Facilitator
Central West Specialized Developmental Services
Central West Specialized Developmental Services
Bilingual Registered Practical Nurse
Carlington Community Health Centre
Registered Nurse/Lactation Co-ordinator
Sinai Health System