- Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
- Job Category
- Contract type
Are you a conscientious and well-organized Registered Nurse, with a strong commitment to the care and well-being of others? If so, please consider this rewarding opportunity to join the health care team with the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, Maplehurst Correctional Complex.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Conduct health assessments for the purposes of triage and on-going care
• Plan for and provide health care treatment
• Monitor adherence to treatment plans and response to health care interventions
• Liaise with community care providers to obtain health histories and to facilitate transitional care at discharge for both remand and intermittent inmates
• Participate in case management
• Advocate for and encourage patient participation in the plan of care
• Act as a resource for patients, staff and external stakeholders by sharing your knowledge and expertise
• Work collaboratively as a member of the inter-professional team to develop, implement and evaluate patient-specific plans of care
• Contribute to health program development within the institution
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other staff members and external stakeholders
• Practice in accordance with the College of Nurses Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• Practice in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
• Provide emergency care, acute care, crisis intervention, health teaching, and counseling when required both for patients considered medically stable and unstable
Please read the following information carefully and customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad.
How do I qualify?
• You must be registered as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario and be in good standing
Hours of Work
This is a full-time, permanent position. The hours of work are 40 hours per week. You are expected to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service, up to 24 hours a day.
Nursing Knowledge and Experience
• You have knowledge of professional standards and guidelines, best practice guidelines, and nursing theories, practices and relevant legislation (such as Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Mental Health Act)
• You are able to complete a comprehensive health assessment
• You can elicit, interpret and evaluate information from patients and other sources and draw conclusions to develop treatment and care plans
• You are able to evaluate patient responses to planned interventions and to modify interventions in collaboration with the inter-professional team to achieve established goals
• You can address emergency situations and implement appropriate therapeutic interventions
Other Essential Skills
• You have excellent critical thinking and organizational skills to provide emergency, urgent and routine health care
• You have effective oral and written communication skills and health teaching skills to deal effectively with staff and clients
• You can work as a member of an inter-professional team and work with a diverse client group
Salary Range: $1,268.82 - $1,581.87 per week
- 1 Permanent - Full Time, 661 Martin St, Milton, Central Region, Enhanced - CPIC, VSS, PIP, Niche/RMS, Credit
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 123271, by Friday, May 18, 2018. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.