Division: Health Protection
Position: Manager, Enteric & Vector Borne Diseases
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve.
This is a permanent full time position working 35 hours per week.
Halton Region serves more than 595,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. We are committed to delivering high quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work.
Joining Halton Region opens the door to a fulfilling career. Our comprehensive compensation, great benefits and employee recognition program are a few reasons why we are one of the GTA’s Top Employers.
We engage great people who contribute to meaningful work that makes a positive difference in our community. As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service focused and award winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment. At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your accomplishments and contributions.
Reporting to the Director, Health Protection, the EVBD manager participates in planning, development, management and implementation of public health programs, services and initiatives consistent with corporate strategic direction and vision and in accordance with provincial public health standards and legislated requirements. The role provides professional leadership and technical support to Health Protection staff related to (but not limited to) infection control measures in personal service settings and congregate settings, , enteric case investigations and outbreak management, and vector borne disease surveillance, response and risk communication.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health or related program and a current certificate from Public Health Inspection (Canada). A minimum of two (2) years’ progressive supervisory experience and 5 years’ experience in Public Health is required. Registration with the Certification Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology (CBIC) and knowledge of the integrated Public Health Information System (iPHIS) will be considered assets. An equivalent amount of education and experience will be considered.
The candidate must posses:
- Broad knowledge, skills and experience in Public Health with a focus in infectious disease management, vector borne disease response, surveillance and risk communication response.
- Solid knowledge of epidemiological principles, infection control practice, statistics, microbiology and infectious diseases.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in project management and program evaluation.
- Experience in business processes and decision-making, political sensitivity and accountability principles related to governments.
The ideal candidate is a leader who is inclusive, committed to developing staff and will build a positive culture where individuals feel recognized and valued. Leads by example, promotes a safe work environment with a culture of trust, mutual respect and cooperation. You will be able to actively inspire, influence, motivate and support a team of professionals. You will collaborate well with peers across the department, with other Regional departments and with health care system partners to ensure public health measures to support communicable disease control occur in a wide variety of settings.
Strong knowledge of public health competencies, effective public health practice to determine interventions that improve the health of Halton residents, the Ontario Public Health Standards, legislation and mandates governing public health issues is required.
Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills, exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead, coach and influence are required. The individual must be able to collaborate with diverse community partners and organizations, provide excellent customer service and possess political acuity. Develops collaborative relationships for the delivery of programs and services to meet term of council priorities and legislative agenda.
The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on condition that the Regional Municipality of Halton receives a current (obtained within the past six (6) months), original and acceptable Criminal Records Check, including Vulnerable Sector Screening by the first day of employment. Travel will be required; incumbent must provide their own transportation. Incumbent will be required to serve on standby on a rotational basis.
- Manages a team of health professionals who work to address infectious diseases, infection control, vector borne disease issues and outbreak response.
- Provides leadership in meeting the requirements and standards set out in the Ontario Public Health Standards for infectious diseases, infection control and vector borne diseases as well as the Corporate Strategic Plan and the Health Department Priorities.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of services/projects to address the above mentioned issues.
- Provide technical support and consultations to Health Department staff related to infection control, outbreak management and case investigations.
- Manages the program budgets to ensure appropriate use of resources.
- Provides direct supervision and coaching for staff through performance appraisals, review of workloads and consultation on project implementation.
- Interprets and consistently implements the Corporate policies.
- Provides input to the Director of Health Protection regarding staffing levels and directly participates in the selection of assigned staff.
- Participates in regular meetings with the Director of Health Protection to problem solve, review, implement and evaluate Corporate and Health Department policies and procedures and interprets the same for the multidisciplinary team.
- Liaises directly with managers of other Public Health Programs to ensure comprehensive, integrated and effective programs and services.
- Collaborate with partners (physician, community hospitals, LTCH & RH) to identify and address public health issues;
- Represents the division on community, departmental and corporate committees.
- Functions as a member of the Divisional Management Team.
- Responsible for recruitment, performance, management and exit strategies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Posted: September 03, 2021
Posting Expires: September 22, 2021
Posting #: H-379-21
Apply Online at: Halton Job Postings
- We appreciate all applications however only those selected to advance in the selection process will be contacted. Candidates will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please check your email and voicemail regularly.
- We are committed to providing accommodation throughout the selection process. If you require accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
More search results
Registered Nurse (Temporary Full-Time)
Toronto Aged Mens and Womens Homes (Belmont House)
Assistant Director of Nursing - Infection Control…
Registered Nurse – Supervised Consumption Service…
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre
Public Health Nurse
Resident Wellness Manager