Homecare Specialist Supervisor - Sunnybrook ED One Team Program
We are currently seeking a:
Homecare Specialist Supervisor – Sunnybrook ED One Team Program
Full-Time – 1 year contract
Rotating 12 hours shifts with weekend coverage
This is a unique and innovative leadership position in which Service Provider Organizations (SPOs): Spectrum Home Health, SE Health and VHA Home HealthCare partner with Sunnybrook Health Sciences staff and Community Support Services organization staff (Loft and Sprint) to form the Sunnybrook ED One Team. Working at Sunnybrook health Sciences as part of an integrated team, the Home Care Specialist (HCS) assesses clients for safe discharge, arranges interprofessional services, leverages existing resources, and supports more effective communication to primary care and other SPOs.
The purpose of this partnership is to divert Emergency Department (ED) admissions to inpatient units by leveraging the home care knowledge of SPOs both in the ED and the inpatient medical short stay unit. While the ED One Team focus may be persons who present to the ED over age 70 years, it is not exclusively limited to this population. The Home Care Specialist has the knowledge and autonomy to deploy the Quick Action Team which includes settlement personal support, nursing, physiotherapy, and occupational service, to provide home care service within 48 hours after ED admission. Additional services may be needed to support safe and timely transfer home and reduce the incidence of recurrent visits to the ED.
Working within a client and family-centred philosophy the Home Care Specialist will work collaboratively with Client Services, the Hospital and Integrated Care Delivery and Best Practices Teams to provide clinical leadership, expertise and consultation to the Sunnybrook ED One Team to champion the advancement of professional practice, evidence-based best practices in home care, education, and an integrated, interprofessional clinical practice environment. As this is a leadership position without direct reports, the priority is autonomous and self-directed practice that focuses on relationship building and engagement across sectors. As a representative of VHA, professional practice behaviours are congruent with the organization’s standards of safety and quality, and employment standards including human rights legislation.
The Home Care Specialist role is accountable to ensure that discharge plans reflect funded care requirements that meet financial frameworks. The role also requires that utilization and outcome targets are met, and that program delivery is aligned with the Sunnybrook ED One team and VHA’s strategic directives, provincial priorities, emerging trends and changing practice expectations. The Home Care Specialist assists in the development and evaluation of the program, acts as a role model and change agent, represents VHA as a valuable sector partner and supports ongoing marketing of VHA services, and champions VHA’s commitment to practice excellence and quality care.
Key Skills, Experience and Behaviours required for this position:
- Undergraduate Degree in Nursing/Science in Nursing and current certificate of competency (licensure) from the College of Nurses of Ontario required.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a Graduate Degree in Nursing, Education or Health Administration.
- Ongoing membership with professional associations an asset.
- 5-years progressive experience in nursing of which 2-years include experience in a supervisory or advanced practice role.
- Good understanding of the health care services and delivery processes in the community and home care sector.
- Knowledge and experience with gerontology
- Intersectoral experience and excellent relationship building skills and dispute resolution
- Demonstrated commitment to client and family centered care.
- Strong clinical practitioner with an ability to use knowledge-transfer techniques to put evidence-based knowledge into practice.
- Excellent leadership and facilitation skills and the ability to coach, and motivate teams.
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or skills in the use of information technology for electronic clinical documentation and clinical decision support.
- Awareness and understanding of all relevant legislation related to practice standards, standards of safety and quality, and employment standards including human rights legislation.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with strong organizational and self-management skills, and with demonstrated ability to achieve personal, professional, and organizational performance targets.
- Superior interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, and skilled in customer service.
- Clear, logical, system thinker and innovative problem solver with demonstrated advanced judgement and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, and to lead or contribute as a member of an interprofessional team.
- Demonstrated commitment to modelling lifelong learning and continuous professional growth.
- Use of proper body mechanics and successful completion of the Physical Readiness Test to ensure safe work practices are followed, including mobility, transfers, bending, lifting, pushing and pulling
- Valid driver’s license and use of a car on the job may be required
VHA Home HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
VHA is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment.
If you required an accommodation, let us know in advance.
Accredited with Exemplary Standing by Accreditation Canada; a designated Best Practice
Spotlight Organization; and a founding member and anchor agency of United Way Toronto
More search results
Registered Nurse (Temporary Full-Time)
Toronto Aged Mens and Womens Homes (Belmont House)
Assistant Director of Nursing - Infection Control…
Registered Nurse – Supervised Consumption Service…
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre
Public Health Nurse
Resident Wellness Manager