Department: Social & Community Services
Division/Location: Services for Senior – Allendale (Milton)
Position: Registered Nurse
Salary: $33.23 - $47.57 per hour (ONA)
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve.
Applicants within the bargaining unit will have first consideration.
This is a permanent full time position working up to 37.5 hours per week evenings (1500 – 2300) including every other weekend.
Halton Region serves more than 595,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. We are committed to the delivery of high quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work.
We are proud to operate three non-profit long-term care homes where our employees make a meaningful contribution on the lives of the residents by providing quality care in a family-like atmosphere.
As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service-focused and award winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also recognized as a Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO) Best Practice Spotlight organization.
At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your work.
Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario with two years’ experience in geriatrics, rehabilitation or long-term care nursing is required. A B.Sc.N is an asset. Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work both in a team and independently are required. The successful incumbent must also possess strong analytical skills and the ability to manage multiple demands and decision-making skills. Demonstrated computer ability and experience in Long Term Care is desirable. Must have a genuine desire to work with the elderly, an understanding of the Residents’ Bill of Rights and Compliance Standards as set out by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care.
You make a positive difference in people’s lives because you provide high quality customer centered services. You operate within a highly ethical environment and will be accountable for going the extra mile, listening to your customers, creatively meeting needs and always being respectful to those you serve. As a result, you will be part of a qualified and strategic team recognized widely for caring, excellence, integrity, inclusiveness and flexibility.
The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on condition that the Regional Municipality of Halton receives a current (obtained within the past six (6) months), original and acceptable Criminal Records Check, including Vulnerable Sector Screening by the first day of employment. The successful candidate will also need to provide a current two-step tuberculosis test (obtained within the past six (6) months) by the first day of employment. Successful candidates that have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 90 days will be exempt from antigen testing and will need to provide the Region with proof of the positive test result. The Region encourages staff to be immunized for influenza, however, it is not a condition of employment.
In support of the Region’s commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, the Region has a vaccination requirement for all employees.
The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Fully vaccinated is defined as having received all of the required doses of a World Health Organization (WHO) approved vaccine and having received the final dose at least 14 days before your employment start date.
The candidate will be asked to provide the Region with proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. Acceptable proof includes an Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 vaccine receipt which you can obtain through the Provincial portal https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/, or other government-issued vaccine passport or certification.
The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Human Rights Code, if the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Code. Where the successful candidate has not been fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason provided by a physician or registered nurse and time period for the medical reason may be accepted consistent with Halton’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Flexibility in work schedule including shifts and every other weekend is required. Must be able to perform all the necessary physical tasks associated with the care and assistance of residents.
- Provides leadership for designated home areas ensuring that resident care is delivered according to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC), College of Nurses of Ontario and Services for Seniors Mission and Care Philosophy.
- Provides direction to staff concerning resident and family issues and Resident Home Area operations.
- Supervises work of front line staff providing direction and support as necessary.
- Communicates effectively with residents, staff, families, physicians and team members.
- Provides excellent customer service at all times. Provides individualized service and creates a “homelike” atmosphere.
- Participates in skin and wound care programs according to MOHLTC and Services for Seniors policies, procedures and best practices.
- Completes an individualized plan of care for each resident. Assesses resident’s health status on an ongoing basis and institutes appropriate care measures.
- Administers medication as necessary, as well as medications not approved for the RPN. Responsible for the security of drugs and narcotics according to applicable policies and legislation.
- Participates in Quality Improvement and Risk Management activities.
- Performs administrative duties such, as scheduling and acts as the Charge Nurse in absence of management staff.
- Assists in the orientation of new staff, students and volunteers.
- Acts as a resident advocate; communicates information about client /resident needs to internal and external agencies, staff, volunteers, families and students.
- Recommends changes to nursing practice, care policies and procedures, as the need arises.
- Assists with completion of PSW and RPN performance appraisals by providing input to MORC.
- Contributes to physician rounds and facilitates Resident Care Conferences.
Posted: September 01, 2021
Posting Expires: October 31, 2021
Posting #: SS-372-21
Apply Online at: Halton Job Postings
- We appreciate all applications however only those selected to advance in the selection process will be contacted. Candidates will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please check your email and voicemail regularly.
- We are committed to providing accommodation throughout the selection process. If you require accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
More search results
Registered Nurse (Temporary Full-Time)
Toronto Aged Mens and Womens Homes (Belmont House)
Assistant Director of Nursing - Infection Control…
Registered Nurse – Supervised Consumption Service…
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre
Public Health Nurse
Resident Wellness Manager