This non-union nursing supervisor position is a new role at Copernicus Lodge that is being implemented to facilitate the provision of high standards of resident care through the promotion of evidence-based practice and ongoing continuous quality improvement processes.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who functions well in a leadership role and has demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills that reflect the values of Copernicus Lodge. You must have a genuine desire to work with seniors, an understanding of the Residents’ Bill of Rights and Compliance Standards as set out by the Ministry of Long Term Care and a passion for quality improvement – both for resident care and for employee work-life.
Reporting to the ADOC, the Nursing Supervisor will assist in the management of the day-to-day operations of the unit(s). This position will play a leadership role in ensuring the provision of quality resident care through monitoring and adjusting daily clinical operations and administrative activities to ensure efficient and effective department operation. As a member of the management team, the Nursing Supervisor will provide direct staff supervision and support human resource planning, including conducting performance appraisals, monitoring competency assessment processes for staff and supporting the ongoing education, mentorship and development of team members. Responsibilities will include :
Human Resource Management
- Interviewing and Selection of unregulated staff (PSW’s)
- Collaborating with the ADOC on completing Staff Performance Appraisals
- Administration of Attendance Management program
- Providing performance feedback, coaching and mentoring staff in a positive and supportive manner.
- Empowering staff by contributing to the identification of learning and development needs.
- Supporting the formal performance management and evaluation of unregulated health professionals.
- Fostering effective employee and labour relations through acquired knowledge of Health Centre policies and processes, as well as Collective Agreements and governing Employment laws/codes.
- Demonstrating understanding of, and compliance with, responsibilities under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, regulations and the Health Centre’s Health and Safety policies, protocols procedures and guidelines.
- Co-ordinating and collaborating with the ADOC to orient new hires.
- Co-ordinating unit staffing and resident assignments in collaboration with the ADOC.
- Supporting conflict resolutions processes
- Facilitating change initiatives.
- Recognizing and rewarding excellent staff performance.
- Assess and monitor unit staffing
- Serving as a role model in the development and maintenance of an organizational culture that ensures support of and commitment to the Vision, Mission and Values of Copernicus Lodge.
Co-ordination and Management of Resident Care
- Championing best practices and plays a leadership role in quality and process improvement initiatives in support of excellent resident care.
- Interacting with other departments to optimize resident care and experience.
- Acting as a clinical resource for the inter-professional team
- Responsible for attendance at monthly care conferences on the unit
- Providing support to staff for issues related to resident care & families.
- Promoting continuous quality improvement to achieve established clinical benchmarks and outcomes
- Lead the timely investigation and resolution of resident and family complaints.
- Promoting an environment that respects confidentiality, privacy of residents, and health information in a professional manner as defined by various regulatory bodies and Copernicus Lodge policies.
- Coordinate/Facilitate admissions, transfers, repatriations and discharges from unit & adjusts work assignments as needed
- Assessing, supporting and managing clinical risk situations, escalating as appropriate.
- Maintain current overview of resident health status & acuity
- Participation in Transfer of Accountability.
- Oversee effective facilitation of resident care activities, such as physician orders, diagnostic imaging & tests
- Timely updates to key individuals, e.g., ADOC, Physician/NP, Health Disciplines about significant resident issues
- Support resident care processes, e.g., bed allocation, room changes
- Ensure appropriate follow up of any resident issues from previous shift
- Evaluating and monitoring resident care and associated documentation
- Support learner integration into care unit
- Resident Rounding – identifying priority residents and working with interdisciplinary team including management to prevent and/or address issues (high risk falls, responsive behaviors, restraints, IPAC)
- Consults and collaborates on direct and indirect resident care activities (i.e. deteriorating resident, integration of new staff, implementation of new process/equipment)
- Active member of in-house committees
Management of Unit Operations
- Performing required inspection protocols and chart, IPAC and other audits as per legislation and quality improvement plan.
- Monitor infection control practices in the department and intervene as appropriate.
- Participating in RFQ/RFP processes as required.
- Coordinate unit-based functions & monitoring activities, e.g., inspections / equipment checks / unit repairs and maintenance
- Other duties as assigned
- Collaborate with the IPAC hub, relevant committees/tables, and Toronto Public Health on the optimization and monitoring of infectious disease across the home
- Review and optimization of Copernicus Lodge IPAC program including active member of the Infection Control Committee
- Diploma in Nursing with preference given to those who have/are working towards a Bachelor of Nursing degree
- RN registration with a current certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current registration in good standing as practicing Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Knowledge and experience in gerontology and gerontological nursing as well as an understanding of the needs of the long term care clients
- Current CPR certification (or willingness to obtain within 6 months)
- Completion of Public Health Ontario IPAC Core Competencies online Training (or within 3 months of hire)
- Willingness to complete certification from the Certification Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology and additional IPAC training courses as required
- Completion of Public Health Ontario Solid communication skills in English (written and oral) to interpret legislation, prepare reports, assist in the development of policies and effectively convey information to resident care staff. Ability to speak Polish would be a definite asset for resident and family engagement.
- Minimum of 2 Years recent experience in long term care, with demonstrated clinical expertise in the delivery of resident care.
- Demonstrated leadership experience and skills.
- Fully immunized against COIVD-19, or willingness to complete 2-dose immunization within 1 month of hire
- Experience managing staff strongly preferred.
- Demonstrates a strong resident, family, staff and customer focused philosophy in all interactions
- Experience implementing strategies that effectively manage change.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, standards and related best practice guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to engage staff in continuous clinical skill and quality improvement
- Flexible, organized and self-directed.
- Excellent decision making, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Effective listening and conflict resolution skills.
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral, and excellent command of English language. Demonstrated commitment to resident and family centered principles and care.
- Must have the ability to provide nursing care to ambulant and non-ambulant residents and clients with a focus on restoration, health promotion and palliation regardless of complexity and predictability, autonomously within his/her scope of competence.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability in the practical application of nursing theory, biological and social sciences, principles of gerontology and accepted best practices, to the standard established by provincial nursing legislation
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and learning
- Strong computer skills including experience with an electronic patient record and ability to use excel, Microsoft word, email and the internet
- flexibility for some evening and weekend work
- Satisfactory Attendance Record
Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology. If this opportunity matches your qualifications and experience please apply on-line.
Successful candidates hired to work within Copernicus Lodge in this role are required to provide the following information as Conditions of Employment:
- Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (2 doses) or willingness to complete within 1 month of hire
- TB Skin Testing
- COVID-19 Testing
Copernicus Lodge is strongly committed to inclusion and diversity within its community and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: visible minorities, all religions and ethnicities, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
More search results
Registered Nurse (Temporary Full-Time)
Toronto Aged Mens and Womens Homes (Belmont House)
Assistant Director of Nursing - Infection Control…
Registered Nurse – Supervised Consumption Service…
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre
Public Health Nurse
Resident Wellness Manager