- Halton Region
- The Regional Municipality of Halton
- Registered Nurse, Other - Discipline
- Work Setting
- Ontario, Oakville, ON
- Area of Practice
- Education, Management / Director / Executive, Public Health
- Permanent, Full-time
Supervisor, School Years
Location: Healthy Schools & Communities
Position: Supervisor, School Years Health Program
Note: At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve.
This is a permanent full-time position working 35 hours per week.
Halton Region serves more than 595,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. We are committed to delivering high quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work.
Joining Halton Region opens the door to a fulfilling career. Our comprehensive compensation, great benefits and employee recognition program are a few reasons why we are one of the GTA’s Top Employers.
We engage great people who contribute to meaningful work that makes a positive difference in our community. As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service focused and award winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment. At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your accomplishments and contributions.
Reporting to the Manager, School Years, this position will support the Healthy Schools and Communities Division through leading a team of professionals in the delivery of the School Years Health Program. This position will be temporarily re-deployed to the Infectious Diseases Division to support Public Health’s pandemic response.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree, with a current Certificate of Registration from the College of Nurses of Ontario showing entitlement to practice with no restrictions and a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a public health environment. Previous supervisory experience would be an asset and a Master’s degree in health, administration or other relevant area are preferred.
This role requires recent relevant knowledge and experience related to School Health Promotion. This includes demonstrated competency in community/coalition development with a focus on: child and youth growth and development, chronic disease prevention, injury and substance misuse prevention. Knowledge and skill in infectious diseases case management, respiratory outbreak management and infection prevention and control will be an asset. This position requires a broad knowledge of public health trends, the determinants of health and extensive knowledge of legislation and mandates governing public health. Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills and exceptional interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to lead, coach, influence and manage staff performance. Additional competency in: project management, forming strategic relationships, health planning, health communications (including digital), budget monitoring, and performance measurement will be an asset. This will also include an understanding of standards and policies that govern professional practice and labour relations. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on condition that the Regional Municipality of Halton receives a current (obtained within the past six (6) months), original and acceptable Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screen by the first day of employment. Flexibility in working hours is required as there may be periodic meetings and functions outside of regular business hours. Travel will be required; incumbent must provide their own transportation.
- Provide supervision, support, and performance management to School Years Health program staff.
- Recruit staff in collaboration with management team.
- Responsible for the accurate and consistent application of the collective agreement.
- Analyze service levels and performance indicators to assist the Manager in evaluating program efficacy.
- Develop and implement necessary policies, procedures, protocols incorporating current evidence based leading best practices.
- Monitor established achievement objectives within the Ontario Public Health Standards and report to the Program Manager on indicators required.
- Liaise with other public health jurisdictions, community partners and stakeholders as well as plan, implement and evaluate quality service delivery
- Responsible for team planning to meet objectives of program area and the quality assurance of the program through evaluation of performance measures, workload management, project review meetings and documentation review
- Provides consultation for staff members in relation to assessment, planning and evaluation of care.
- Participates on Divisional, Departmental, Interdepartmental, Corporate and community committees as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Posted: July 20, 2021
Posting Expires: August 2, 2021
Posting #: H-323-21
Apply Online at: Halton Job Postings
- We appreciate all applications however only those selected to advance in the selection process will be contacted. Candidates will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please check your email and voicemail regularly.
- We are committed to providing accommodation throughout the selection process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
How to Apply?
Click on Apply Now to submit your cover letter and resume for a specific posting.
NOTE: Applications that are not submitted online will not be considered. Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.