DEPARTMENT: MENTAL HEALTH AND THE LAW PROGRAM – HUMMINGBIRD LODGE
POSITION: ONE (1) PERMANENT PART TIME REGISTERED NURSE
ONE (1) PERMANENT FULL TIME REGISTERED NURSE
SITE: NBRHC – NORTH BAY
HOURS: ALL SHIFTS AS REQUIRED
Hummingbird Lodge is an eight-bed provincial forensic inpatient service for adult women (18 yrs+) who are subject to Disposition Orders of the Ontario Review Board (ORB) under the Criminal Code of Canada (CCC). These women have been found Not Criminally Responsible on account of a mental disorder.
Hummingbird Lodge offers specialized intensive treatment, rehabilitation and behavioural management services that take into account the differences in the forensic, medical, psychosocial and psychiatric profiles of women, with a focus on trauma informed care and servicing clinically complex women whose mental health conditions are impeding their progress through recovery.
• Current Certificate of Registration ~ College of Nurses of Ontario required
• Current BCLS Certificate required
• Minimum of two years recent experience (within 2-3 years) working with individuals with serious mental illness required
• Demonstrated knowledge of psychotropic medications, symptom management and health teaching required
• Knowledge and experience in facilitating conflict resolution required
• Excellent level of interpersonal skills required
• Excellent level of written and verbal communication skills required
• Ability to effectively provide health teaching to individuals and groups required
• Demonstrated ability to assume a leadership role in crisis management required
• Must be able to coordinate and delegate all daily requirements necessary to operate the Lodge required
• Must be able to respond and fully participate in all codes (White, Red, etc.) required
• Must adhere to the Hospital’s core values required
• Ability to effectively assume a leadership role as a collaborative member of the health team required
• Knowledge of Forensic Nursing including risk management as well as knowledge working with the provisions of the Forensic legal frameworks: Section XX.I of the Criminal Code of Canada required
• Demonstrated proficiency in conducting Mental Status Exams required
• Knowledge of principles of least restraint required
• Knowledge of Safewards principles required
• Understanding of cultural competencies
• Basic computer knowledge required
• Must participate and lead groups in collaboration with other clinical staff
• Good attendance and work record required
• Ability to work with minimal supervision required
• Must demonstrate commitment to ensure your safety, the safety of fellow workers, patients, volunteers and visitors
• Must support and contribute to a culture of safety and prevention of adverse health events in this organization
• Valid driver’s license required
• Knowledge of gender based models of care an asset
• Knowledge of Trauma informed models of care, including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) is an asset
• Experience with harm minimization/reduction approach to self-injury and suicide an asset
• Bilingualism (Advanced level English/French) is required. All unilingual candidates are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the identified French requirement has been met or there are no successful bilingual candidates. A formal French test will be conducted to evaluate the proficiency level.
Criminal Reference Check including the Vulnerable Sector Check:
recent within six (6) months is a requirement
Interested candidates are asked to submit your resume and cover letter with a copy of this job posting with completed qualification checked off ✔ beside each qualification you hold.
Please quote File ONA MH-21-064 – RN Hummingbird to:
50 College Drive
P.O. Box 2500
North Bay, ON P1B 5A4
Fax: (705) 495-7977
We are an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest.
An acknowledgement will be sent only to those candidates who will be interviewed.
North Bay Regional Health Centre is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your application.