Health Centre Nurse
We are seeking innovative, enthusiastic and dedicated individuals to join our Health Centre as a Health Centre Nurse. 1 permanent part-time position and one, 1 year full-time contract position.Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s pre-eminent independent school for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At the forefront of woman’s education for over 125 years, Havergal is grounded in the principles of a liberal arts education and prepares young woman to make a difference. Through our outstanding curricular and co-curricular programs, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking, inquiry-based learning and teamworMust be a qualified registered nurse and provide documentation each year
Registration with RNAO recommended
k within our students.
The Health Centre Nurse is responsible for helping to maintain the physical and mental well-being of the students. This role involves a combination of health promotion work and provision of direct nursing care including assessing students, counseling, administering medication, maintaining current medical documentation, and suggesting service referrals.
- Provide nursing services at the Health Centre and on-campus per the practices outlined by the College of Nurses, on a rotational shift basis during day school hours, primarily Monday through Friday.
- Remain up-to-date on health care issues through seminars, workshops and readings.
- Promote healthy lifestyles and prevention through bulletin boards, health teaching and age appropriate presentations for students JK- grade 12.
- Triage clients to the Nurse Practitioner/School physician/emergency services as required.
- Assess students for physical, social, emotional and psychological well-being refer to appropriate medical services when necessary and provide treatment and follow-up care where required.
- Maintain correspondence between faculty, parents and students through conversation and the distribution of written information.
- Direct students, staff and faculty to appropriate services and accompany students to outside support services when required (e.g.: hospital).
- Report problems or concerns to the Manager of the Health Centre.
- Liaise with Manager of Health Centre and the School Physician.
- Arrange appropriate transportation to medical related appointments.
- Maintain accurate, confidential, comprehensive and up to date records and statistics.
- Liaise with the Public Health department to maintain accurate immunization records for the Boarding Students.
- Administer immunizations as required and promote flu shot clinics.
- Work with families of students with prevalent or serious medical conditions to ensure a safe school environment and school care plans.
- Check first aid kit and safety equipment on a monthly basis in the Health Centre and around campus to ensure the kits and safety equipment are stocked and functional .
- Ensure students/parents are adhering to the concussion protocol. Track forms, emails and phone calls for updates, send emails to the appropriate staff on a need to know basis.
- Assist with daily pandemic management, including providing advice to families on public health guidelines and return to school protocols, keeping accurate records, and liaising with Toronto Public Health.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Must be a qualified registered nurse and provide documentation each year
- Registration with RNAO recommended
- Must be certified with CPR and recertify for AED bi-annually
- Must be available for on call shifts, scheduled evenings and weekends (to be divided amongst nursing staff)
- Good knowledge of MS Office Suite and Google Workspace. Adaptable to learn new in-house database system(s)
- Primary care or emergency or pediatric clinical experience is an asset
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 26, 2021.
We appreciate all applications, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Havergal College is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6605 or by email at email@example.com