Registered Nurse – SOS
- 1229 Queen Street West, Toronto, ON
- $62,419 to $74,148 per annum
- Registered Nurse
- Work Setting
- Hospital / Health Centre
- Toronto, ON
- Area of Practice
- Education, Primary Care, Public Health
Registered Nurse – Safer Opioid Supply (SOS)
1.0 FTE (35 hours/week) regular position, Bargaining Unit - ONA
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre (Parkdale Queen West CHC) is a dynamic, community-based health care organization serving mid-west downtown Toronto. Offering a broad range of services, including primary health care, dental care, harm reduction, health promotion, counselling, and community development programming, we are also committed to serving people who face barriers to health care and we strive to reduce these barriers. We are seeking experienced harm reduction worker who share our passion for making a difference; you see this role as an opportunity to take the next step in your successful career while contributing to a vision of Inclusive Communities. Responsive Healthcare. Healthier Lives.
General Responsibilities: We are currently seeking a Registered Nurse to work in our Safer Opioid Supply (SOS) program. This program has been funded only to March 31, 2023. The RN will work within the full scope of practice as a member of the interprofessional team. They will work within a harm reduction framework to provide intake and assessment functions for new SOS clients and work with the broader SOS team (Nurse Practitioners, Case Manager) in providing administrative and evaluation support for the program.
The Safer Opioid Supply program (SOS) provides clients using street-based drug supply, who are at high risk of overdose in the community and of medical complications due to drug use, a regulated supply of prescription opioids through an MD or NP in an effort to reduce overdose and overdose deaths.
- Triage SOS referrals.
- Conduct in-depth assessments of potential SOS clients; perform blood draws as necessary; conduct follow up assessments on clients in the program.
- Conduct in-depth and focused assessments based on client condition and acuity at intake and on an ongoing basis; provide health and harm reduction education as needed.
- Perform assessments on skin and soft tissue infections and perform wound care as needed.
- Liaise with the SOS NP and others to coordinate client care.
- Engage in collaborative community relationships to facilitate patient access to services.
- Charting client assessments, procedures, follow up per CNO standard
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from a recognized program
- Current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Experience in a community setting or combination of community, hospital, or public health settings.
- Knowledge of harm reduction principles, injection drug use and associated health issues
- Experience in primary care or street/outreach nursing an asset
- Experience in emergency response an asset
- Experience in program development, implementation monitoring and evaluation an asset
- Demonstrated ability to de-escalate conflict
- Confidence in asserting and maintaining strong boundaries
- Knowledge of community services and resources; strong advocacy skills
- Proficiency in the use of electronic medical records
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Respects and values the diversity of communities and individuals
Compensation: $62,419 to $74,148 per annum plus benefits and HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Plension Plan)
Please send your resume and cover letter in a single document (MS Word or PDF format only) to email@example.com , quoting “RN - SOS - QW” in the subject line. Internal applicants, please submit your application by May 18, 2021 at 5:00 pm. External candidates the deadline to apply is by June 2, 2021 at 5:00 pm. We truly appreciate your interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.