Student LIFE CAMPUS NURSE:
Student life at Loyalist is exciting, active and varied. We welcome a rich diversity of outstanding students from multiple cultures and locations; from those who grew up just around the corner, to those who have arrived from around the world. All our students participate in practical, hands-on learning in a wide variety of disciplines from paramedic to culinary studies, business to mechatronics. Our students encompass the full span of human life, including vibrant differences in physical ability, gender identity, sexuality, race, socioeconomic status, and culture. Many of our students are away from home for the first time, not only engaging in a new learning experience, but in navigating the challenges of a new country and/or culture. Sometimes they need your help. Whether it’s direct care, health education and promotion, first aid or mental health support and referral, you are there for them as a student life campus nurse. You are ready to help out with your professional knowledge and expertise, sharing your own direct experience of and delight at working with others from the variety of cultures, human expression and backgrounds that exist in the world.
- Triage/assess/screen all walk-in clients’ needs by listening and valuing the individual student and their personal background and perspective; engaging with the student to take their medical history, and professionally assessing the nature and acuity of the client’s problem(s) from a fully inclusive and respectful stance.
- Provide appropriate, compassionate treatment or referral for medical, surgical and psychological conditions of all degrees of severity within scope of practice.
- Provide caring support, and monitor clients with long term medical and psychological diagnoses, recognizing the realities and impacts of differences in social background, economic status, race, ability, culture, gender identity and sexuality.
- Respond to emergency conditions within the medical office. Respond to emergencies within the College when able and engage in the independent decision-making that triaging demands. Administer/dispense oral medication including emergency medical medications
- Administer injectable medications including, but not limited to, vaccines, allergy serum and TB skin tests. Assess clients for reactions, being prepared to provide emergency care for allergic response or dose adjustment for minor reactions.
- Initiate and perform diagnostic laboratory procedures. Record and interpret lab results. Implements client care based on interpretation of the results within scope of practice.
- Ensure compliance of staff and students with legislated immunization requirements for various programs.
- Analyze client’s immunization/ medical records to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Working collaboratively with the student, develop a plan for them to receive the correct immunizations and medical testing.
- Organize and implement immunization clinics
- Offer student-centred education for prevention of illness, contraception, nutrition, communicable disease and other health needs as required.
- Identify the need for education with each client’s diagnosis. Provide the required education and resources in a way that respects the individuality of the student and their health needs.
- Act as a professional resource to administration, faculty and support staff as well as the student population. Respond to requests to provide information on a broad variety of topics to a group or individually.
- Assess results of medical tests and follow-up abnormal results in consultation with the physician
- Prepare client, educate and perform PAP smears in accordance with the physician (Well Woman certificate from McMaster University)
- Collect laboratory specimens, label them and complete required requisitions.
- Maintain confidential medical record storage.
- Maintain and order up-to-date medical supplies
- Maintain contacts with pharmaceutical representatives to receive drug samples and to remain current with new treatment protocols
- Maintain sterility of equipment for minor surgical procedures
- Maintain safe vaccine storage through daily monitoring as required by the Public Health Unit
- Assist with on-campus vaccination clinics
- Assist with reception duties/scheduling as required and provide a welcoming environment for all students
- Communicate with campus health networks through Ontario University and College Health Association (OUCHA) list serve
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing or equivalent
- Certificate of Competence from the Ontario Colleges of Nurses
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience working in an independent medical environment.
- Progressive relevant nursing experience with emergency, sexual health, family practice, mental health.
- Personal experience as an international student, and/or direct experience working in a multicultural setting is a significant asset
- Proficiency in Hindi, and/or other internationally spoken languages considered an asset
- Knowledge of community resources.
- Comfortable with computer-based operations, internet and email
- Phlebotomy experience
- Excellent communication and skills, both verbally and written
- The ability to function independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Awareness of diseases/conditions in other countries e.g. malaria, parasites
TO APPLY: Applications must be submitted quoting the competition SUP21-06N in the email subject line. Please send a covering letter and a resume in MS Word (docx) or PDF format to:
Human Resources Services
Posted in accordance with Article 17.1 of the Support Staff Collective Agreement.
Loyalist is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive college community. We encourage and welcome applications from marginalized and equity seeking groups. Loyalist College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If you have accommodation needs, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Following an offer of employment, candidates with Canadian credentials will be required to provide official transcripts from the granting educational institution(s); candidates with international credentials must provide World Education Services (WES) www.wes.org/ca evaluation (at their own cost) confirming Canadian equivalency of their credentials.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted