Human Resources Consultant, Employee Health & Wellness
- City of Toronto
- $82,409.60 - $96,805.80 per annum
- Personal Support Worker, Other - Discipline
- Work Setting
- Toronto, ON
Human Resources Consultant, Employee Health & Wellness
Permanent, full-time position – Toronto, ON
Recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, and Best Diversity Employers, the City of Toronto is committed to providing opportunities to lead, learn and grow. Our People and Equity Division plays a critical role within the City in developing strategies, and promoting policies, practices and programs conducive to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for employees, visitors and residents. As an HR Consultant in Employee Health & Wellness, you’ll contribute meaningfully to the Division’s priorities around occupational health and safety, including workplace wellness, , and return-to-work programs, as well as to the City’s accessibility goals.
Reporting to the Manager of Employee Health, Wellness and Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and leveraging your track record of success in this field and knowledge of applicable legislation, you’ll provide proactive disability and occupational health services to City of Toronto employees, in order to minimize the impact of illness and injury for the employee and for the workplace.
A collaborative approach to achieving results
Recognized for your solid grasp of disability management and occupational health theory and practice, you’re well equipped to coordinate medical and functional assessments and interpret the results so that you can make appropriate recommendations where an employee's health issues impact work function. Working closely with internal and external resources, you’ll make appropriate referrals and ensure that health assessments, treatment and rehabilitation programs support maximum functional recovery of ill and injured employees. You’ll also ensure the delivery of integrated disability management by working cooperatively with other HR staff, managers, health care professionals and union representatives.
Creating tailored solutions aligned with established procedures
This is an exciting opportunity for you to display flexibility in meeting the unique needs of each situation while following policies, procedures and guidelines. Based on the multiple cause-and-effect relationships you’ve identified in situations involving numerous options, diverse stakeholders and a large volume of information, you’ll create tailored solutions for individuals and make recommendations regarding compliance with corporate policies and procedures related to disability management and occupational health. As an HR Consultant, you’ll also assist in developing and assessing integrated disability and occupational health programs. In addition, should you be a Registered Nurse by profession, you’ll be expected to provide primary and emergency care to employees and members of the public.
Among the strengths you bring to the role of Human Resources Consultant, Health & Wellness, are the following key qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a health specialty, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Preference may be given to candidates with the following health specialty: a B.Sc. degree in Nursing with specialty designation in Occupational Health Nursing (or certification in Disability Management).
- Considerable experience in, and proven knowledge of, disability management and occupational health theory and practice.
- Experience in interpreting medical and functional information and the ability to communicate this information, within policy and legal bounds, to divisions within the organization.
- Experience in providing health surveillance programs, such as pre-placement assessments, would be an asset.
- Knowledge of pertinent legislation, e.g., Occupational Health and Safety Act, Human Rights and Health Disciplines Act, with the ability to communicate its significance and relevancy to each situation.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with all levels of staff and union representatives.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills, that are applicable to all levels of the organization.
- Proficiency with City standard desktop software applications (e.g.: Excel, MS Access, MS Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
Salary Range: $82,409.60 - $96,805.80 per annum
Toronto is home to more than 2.9 million people whose diversity and experiences make this great city Canada’s leading economic engine and one of the world’s most diverse and livable cities. As the fourth largest city in North America, Toronto is a global leader in technology, finance, film, music, culture, and innovation, and consistently places at the top of international rankings due to investments championed by its government, residents and businesses. For more information, visit jobs.toronto.ca or follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/CityTOjobs, on LinkedIn at Linkedin.com/company/city-of-toronto or on Facebook at Facebook.com/CityTOjobs.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at https://jobs.toronto.ca/jobsatcity/. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting Job ID 16400, by Sunday May 16, 2021
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.