Copernicus Lodge is a not-for-profit, charitable and ethno-specific organization made possible through the efforts of the Polish Canadian community and the vision of Father Michael Smith, OMI. Located in the heart of the Roncesvalles community in west–end Toronto, we are a 228 bed Long Term Care home.
We are seeking two (2) permanent full-time dynamic and innovative individuals to join our organization in the role of Assistant Director of Care (ADOC). Reporting directly to Director of Care (DOC), the ADOC is responsible for the is responsible for providing safe, resident focused, quality nursing services in the Long-Term Care Home to residents, while ensuring compliance with Ministry, legislative, and corporate expectations.
This role is responsible for assisting the DOC in the operation of the Resident care units, including: ongoing assessments, monitoring and managing all clinical aspects of nursing care, auditing practice, developing and implementing new policies and procedures, and human resource management.
This position will work collaboratively with the ADOC, and will provide direct management oversight for the staff in dedicated resident care units and will provide leadership for a minimum of two quality programs. Registered Nurses, Registered Practical Nurses and PSW staff will report directly to the Assistant Director of Care.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Resident Care Excellence
- Monitor and ensure clinical care processes are delivered according to individual plans of care for residents;
- Assists staff in resident care in times of emergency to instruct staff on improving care methods or when assistance is required by staff.
- Lead, implement and evaluate mandatory programs under the Long-Term Care Act including skin and wound, falls, pain, restraints, and continence.
- Coordinate, implement, evaluate and monitor the performance metrics of care processes for RAI MDS Program, Nursing Rehab, and Restorative Care;
- Collaborate with the DOC on issues related to infection control and coordinate monitoring of all activities at the Care;
- Support the DOC in hiring, training and coaching the nursing staff;
- Planning, implementing and evaluating resident care
- Comply with required company policies, provincial regulations and applicable long term care legislations;
- Participate actively in committees, both internal and external, as outlined in the terms of reference and area of responsibility;
- Maintains an active presence in the home to ensure the safety and quality of service provision, adherence to policies and procedures, and the effectiveness of systems and processes.
- Supports/facilitates risk management related activities for the nursing department to optimize resident safety and mitigate risk related to training, physical plant, equipment, systems and processes, regulations and legislation.
- Supports/facilitates compliance in clinical documentation and care planning procedures and various applicable college standards. (eg. College of Nurses, College of Physicians)
- Support the DOC in conducting audits to determine effectiveness of clinical care services in the Care Community;
- Ensure adherence to all respective legislation and applicable regulations including the Resident's Bill of Rights, the standards set by the College of Nurses of Ontario, and Copernicus Lodge’s mission statement and policies
Leadership, Quality Improvement,
- Supports/facilitates the Continuous Quality Improvement Program of the Home by completing Inspection Protocols, indicators, annual program evaluations, balanced scorecard, and participating in Accreditation related activities. Identify areas for improvement and implement initiatives.
- Supports/facilitates the coordination of the ordering, inventory management, distribution, and appropriate and safe use of supplies and equipment for the nursing department.
- Leads staff education sessions on a variety of topics, designed to meet legislative compliance requirements and improve staff skill levels.
- Model and foster an environment of positive customer service across all aspects of care with team members and external partners;
- Must hold a current certificate of registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario; Registered Nurse required, but will consider applicants in progress of completing BScN
- Post-Secondary degree in Health Services, Administration, Nursing or Equivalent.
- At least 3 years of current related experience in a Long-Term Care Home
- At least 3 years of current related experience in management.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluent in English, and cultural sensitivity and ability to speak Polish is preferred; willingness to learn key Polish healthcare relevant phrases would be an asset;
- Knowledge of computer software applications, including word processing and spreadsheets, preferably Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of electronic documentation software essential; familiarity with Point Click Care would be an asset
- Knowledge of the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Homes Act and Regulations; Occupational Health and Safety Act; and the Accreditation Process
- Passionate commitment to seniors living, quality care and improving the resident experience;
- CPR Certified;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work flexible hours dependent upon demands, including occasional evenings to ensure engagement across shifts;
- Share a rotational weekend on-duty schedule;
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If you have any requirements for accommodation due to disability, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment and selection process. We will work with you to best meet your needs as per resources available to us.
Copernicus Lodge is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We request no emails, faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check, including a vulnerable sector search, and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.