Location: Healthy Schools and Communities
Position: Manager, School Years
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full-time position working 35 hours per week.
Halton Region serves more than 595,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. We are committed to delivering high quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work.
Joining Halton Region opens the door to a fulfilling career. Our comprehensive compensation, great benefits and employee recognition program are a few reasons why we are one of the GTA’s Top Employers.
We engage great people who contribute to meaningful work that makes a positive difference in our community. As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service focused and award winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment. At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your accomplishments and contributions.
Reporting to the Director, Healthy Schools and Communities, this role leads a team of public health nurses comprising the School Years program, which supports achieving optimal health of school-aged children and youth through partnerships and collaboration with school boards and schools. This role manages the development and implementation of programs and policies, including long-range planning and evaluation to aid the achievement of program goals and objectives. During the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will be assigned to COVID-19 response.
The successful candidate will possess an undergraduate degree in Nursing and be registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario. A Master’s degree in health administration or a health related field is strongly preferred. The candidate will also have at minimum six (6) years of experience in a public health environment. Experience in delivering public health interventions using a comprehensive school health promotion approach to address issues such as substance use, mental health promotion, and healthy child and youth growth development is preferred. This role requires knowledge related to clinical and professional standards, including broad knowledge of public health, education, human services and determinants of health. Extensive knowledge of legislation and mandates governing the School Years program (Health Protection and Promotion Act, Ontario Public Health Standards, Employment Standards Act, Health and Safety Act, etc.) is required. Knowledge of management theory, leadership, change management, and dispute resolution is required, along with strong project management skills, including report writing and program planning. A background in building strategic relationships is required. A demonstrated ability to lead teams, coach and motivate staff to achieve excellence is an asset. Excellent interpersonal skills are required, with demonstrated ability to lead, coach, influence, and motivate staff, along with political acuity and exceptional communication, decision-making, and problem solving skills. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Flexibility in working hours is required as there may be occasional community meetings and observation of service delivery outside of regular business hours. Incumbent must supply their own transportation. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on condition that the Regional Municipality of Halton receives a current (obtained within the past six (6) months), original and acceptable Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screen by the first day of employment.
- Manages the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and policies related to health promotion for school-aged children and youth, ensuring best practices are adhered to, and are in accordance with provincial requirements and guidelines.
- Manages human resources within a unionized environment, ensuring consistent application of the collective agreement and corporate policies.
- Ensures service delivery targets set by the province are met, and proposes necessary improvements.
- Responsible for program priority setting, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation. Makes necessary changes based on new or changing legislation.
- Identifies priorities based on need of school-aged children and youth and school, and community partners.
- Develops or revises program policies and procedures to align with provincial requirements.
- Develops and manages budgets and allocation of human resources to ensure program priorities and program delivery standards are met.
- Collaborates and manages relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including responding to inquiries from the public, community partners and provincial ministries.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Posted: April 09, 2021
Posting Expires: April 23, 2021
Posting #: H-177-21
Apply Online at: Halton Job Postings
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment