Community Outreach Nurse - RN or RPN
Full-time or Part-time
Closing date for applications: April 21, 2021
Our Mission: Indwell is a Christian charity that creates affordable housing communities that support people seeking health, wellness and belonging.
Position Description: The Community Outreach Nurse provides services in primary prevention, health promotion, and building community resiliency – related to mental health support and liaison for tenants with serious mental illness, addictions, and other special needs. He/she works within the context of a collaborative interdisciplinary team reflecting the principles of person-centered care and evidence-based care.
This is an opportunity to join a growing organization, positively impacting lives and your community!
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, but part-time availability will be considered. Some flexibility is required to meet program needs, including evening and weekend hours. Participation in the on-call schedule is required.
Duties for this position include:
- Health promotion – Enabling people to increase control over and improve their health
- Mental health crisis and suicidality – Assessment of baseline mental health, NVCI (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention), ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills), SafeTalk
- Education and health teaching – Medication administration training for non-registered staff, health teaching to promote healthy lifestyles for tenants, specialized health training for staff (e.g., diabetes management)
- Relationship building – Building long-term therapeutic relationships with tenants, recovery-oriented approach, trauma informed care, promoting hope and trust
- Critical thinking – Evidence based practice, influence policy and program development, identify relevant and appropriate sources of information
- Advocacy – Using evidence to influence policy and practice, supporting tenants to promote well-being as defined by the person, occasional planning, and participation in health appointments
- Current registration as a Registered Nurse of Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Community psychiatric or community health experience preferred.
- Knowledge of infection prevention and control interventions.
- Demonstrated effective crisis intervention skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a high stress environment.
- Ability to build relationships.
- Demonstrated commitment to interpersonal collaborative teamwork and care.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a highly organized manner.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous professional development.
Education/Experience: Minimum BScN. Completion of a university, college, or other approved registered nursing program. Current BLS (Basic Life Support) for health care providers.
To apply: Please apply via our website with cover letter and resume: www.indwell.ca/careers.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell's Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Its supports and services are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell engages with diverse communities; we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services.
More search results
NURSE (RPN) FULL-TIME - NIGHT SHIFT
SCOUT TALENT CANADA
Human Resources Consultant, Employee Health & Wel…
City of Toronto
Registered Nurse - Intensive Care Units - Halifax
Nova Scotia Health
Staff Development Coordinator (12-14 Month MLOA)
The Wexford Residence
Clinical Nursing & Education Lead Full-Time—1 y…
VHA Home Healthcare