- South Bruce Peninsula, Ontario
- Dependent on age, qualifications, and experience.
- Other - Discipline
- Work Setting
- Other - Work Setting
- Wiarton, ON
- Area of Practice
- General Nursing
Reports To: Assistant Director and Camp Owner/Director
Number of Positions Available: 1 (for all 8 weeks & Staff Training)
The Head Nurse takes the lead role in our camper and staff's health and safety.
• Manage and supervise the Health Centre nursing staff.
• Ensure that appropriate care is provided to all campers and staff with medical needs.
• Ensure that safety and health regulations are strictly adhered to.
• Handle first aid and medical issues as they arise.
• Assist with the general camp community as time permits.
• Lead the organizing and setting up of the Health Centre.
• Be on site for daily clinic hours as established.
• Be on call and prepared to assume a lead role in crisis management/emergency response.
• Ensure inventory of First-Aid kits is supplied and maintained.
• Inspect and test all AEDs
• Assess, interpret, and respond to injuries and complaints from campers and staff of varying degree including but not limited to concussions, broken bones, sprains and strains, gastrointestinal and respiratory ailments.
• Diagnose medical issues and refer if necessary to the local Medical Centre / Hospital.
• Ensure that all Health Centre staff maintain the log of campers and staff who receive medical attention in our camp management system.
• Overnight monitoring of ill campers and staff as necessary.
• Administer medications to campers and staff as required.
• Communicate with parents/guardians any necessary information regarding campers or staff who require medical treatment.
• Review medical forms/health history forms prior to registration day in order to discuss current and potential medical needs with parents by phone or email prior to check-in.
• Prepare Health information reports in order to provide special health needs information and directions to the appropriate camp staff (e.g. Directors, Kitchen, Basketball, Coordinators, Activity Instructors, General Camp Staff).
• Weekly health teaching for campers and staff on sun safety, asthma, anaphylaxis, ADD/ADHD, and first aid.
• Ensure that all medications are organized and prepared to return to parents during check-out.
• Use best practice guidelines, and evidence-based research to establish and maintain policies and procedures for the Health Centre.
• Inform Director when Health Centre supplies need to be replenished and make recommendations regarding the improvement of the Health Centre/products / equipment.
• Ensure that the Health Centre is kept clean and orderly at all times.
• Nurse applicants must be RN or RNP licensed in Ontario
• Current CNO membership (liability insurance)
• Current CPR and First Aid certification
• Vulnerable Sector Background Check
• Valid G drivers license.
• Excellent working skills including: communication skills, organizational skills and attention to details.
• One week of Staff Training (June 26, 2021 - July 3, 2021)
• 8 weeks of Camp (July 4, 2021 - August 28, 2021)
• Some pre-camp work may be needed in May and/or June