Professional Practice Leader, Nursing
IMAGINE a hospital where everyone is committed to excellence. We did. We are. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest patient care. At North York General Hospital (NYGH), we put our patients first in everything we do. We are achieving a new standard of excellence in integrated patient-centered care and as one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals, we are building on our academic foundation through enhanced education, research and innovation. North York General Hospital is part of North York Toronto Health Partners, a collaborative partnership with patients, primary care, and community partners, a first- generation Ontario Health Team, driving the development of a locally integrated health system to serve the community. As part of our dynamic team, you too can stand out and be amazing! At North York General, our team is making a world of difference.
Professional Practice Leader, Nursing
Reporting to the Director of Professional Practice, your goal in this position is to promote the advancement of the Nursing profession through innovation and discovery within the domains of practice, education and research. In partnership with the Clinical Nurse Educators, Professional Practice Leader team, clinical leadership, and the Chief Nursing Executive, you will facilitate/lead the assessment, development, evaluation and implementation for evidence-based practices and professional nursing practices to support the delivery of patient and family driven care, the advancement of the hospital’s strategic initiatives, and the professional development of nursing. This will be a multi-modal approach through education development, training, research review and participation, as applicable. You will be integral in providing mentoring support to nursing colleagues across the organization, the provision of consultative services to the various clinical programs, and support learner placements in collaboration with The Centre for Education. You will also foster networking partnerships with external academic partners, regulatory bodies, and related health care associations. You will promote a culture of professional inquiry and reflective practice by providing visionary nursing leadership. This position supports the Hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and families.
On a practical level, you will
- Provide expert advice on corporate practices and processes pertaining to the nursing profession (scope of practice, policies and their models of care, hiring practices aligned with key ministry initiatives i.e. new graduates’ orientation).
- Monitor and interpret relevant changes in standards, legislation and scope of practice as it pertains to the practice of nursing within the organization for impact and implementation.
- Chair practice-related committees as required and provide expert advice with regard to nurse sensitive indicators in falls prevention, wound and skin, staffing etc. using a balanced scorecard approach.
- Lead, with internal and external stakeholders systems that address and monitor EBP and nursing practice activities including nursing informatics.
- Develop appropriate processes and policies and implement plans, in collaboration with the clinical nurse educators (CNEs), clinical team managers (CTMs), Director, Interprofessional Practice, Chief Nursing Executive, and other internal stakeholders to meet requirements for practice competencies identified as required.
- Design effective systems and processes, with our academic partners, to develop, coordinate and evaluate student education and clinical placements.
- Lead the integration of research into practical protocols for nursing practice and interprofessional care in partnership with PPL Team and CNEs.
- Collaborate with academic partners to develop and participate in relevant research, as defined by our patient populations.
- Provide leadership to key projects in patient safety and care including nursing practice project management, clinical education and on-going certification skills
- Current registration & good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in clinical practice relevant to NYGH with specific clinical currency in an acute care practice setting
- Advanced preparation in nursing practice and teaching-learning environments including research activities, interprofessional care, models of care, nursing informatics and performance outcomes, preferred
- Passionate about nursing practice within a patient/family centered care environment
- Cross-appointed or eligible for cross appointment
- Extensive knowledge of Nursing practice and relevant regulations and legislation
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written, and active listening
- Demonstrated leadership and problem solving experiences
- Demonstrated understanding of Patient and Family Centered Care approaches
- Demonstrated participation in relevant research activities and ability to cultivate a best-practice environment for Nursing
- Ability to review and critically analyze Nursing and Interprofessional research and practice trends
- Demonstrated ability to liaise/communicate with external stakeholders and internal corporate staff members in a professional and courteous manner
- Self-directed and able to deal with multiple stakeholders while managing multiple priorities
- Demonstrated ability to use effective decision-making processes that exist in the organization
- Demonstrated ability to foster a culture of effective teaching and learning
- Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer
Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Full Time Regular position, 75 hours bi-weekly, 8-hour shifts, day shifts, including weekends (as required) in the Professional Nursing Practice Department. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package that includes benefits, pension, and vacation. If you were searching for more reasons to consider joining the wonderful team at NYGH, check out some features of our Total Rewards package by visiting nygh.on.ca.
How to Apply
Think you're the right person for the job? Here's your first chance to show us why:
- Ensure to meet the deadline - only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
- We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
More search results
NURSE (RPN) FULL-TIME - NIGHT SHIFT
SCOUT TALENT CANADA
Human Resources Consultant, Employee Health & Wel…
City of Toronto
Registered Nurse - Intensive Care Units - Halifax
Nova Scotia Health
Staff Development Coordinator (12-14 Month MLOA)
The Wexford Residence
Clinical Nursing & Education Lead Full-Time—1 y…
VHA Home Healthcare