WOUND, SKIN & OSTOMY SPECIALIST – MEDICINE PROGRAM
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants may submit their application by visiting the Mackenzie Health Careers Webpage at www.mackenziehealth.ca
The Wound, Skin & Ostomy Specialist will provide comprehensive, specialized and advanced nursing care for patients requiring wound, skin or ostomy care. The successful candidate will practice within the interprofessional team model and be responsible for promoting best practices in the specialty area and promote excellence in the nursing care of patients with wound, skin and ostomy needs through program design, clinical consultation, facilitation and research.
Contribute to safe, quality care by
- Providing comprehensive, specialized nursing care for patients requiring complex wound, skin or ostomy care.
- Acting as consultant to frontline nurses caring for wounds, skin ulcers and ostomies.
- Leading program development with a focus on building organizational capacity and implementing Best Practice Guidelines for management and prevention of pressure ulcers.
- Monitoring quality improvement metrics and development of improvement recommendations.
- Leading annual pressure injury prevalence and incidence audits.
- Annually reviewing products and equipment related to skin and ostomy care to ensure standardization.
- Developing relevant policies guided by best practices.
What must you have?
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree in Nursing preferred.
- Certification in Wound, Ostomy and Continence required (NSWOC).
- Current certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario as an RN or RN (EC).
- Minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated current expertise in wound, skin and ostomy care and management.
- A minimum of (5) five years of relevant nursing experience in acute care, medical/surgical in a community based hospital required.
What else do you bring?
- Advanced clinical knowledge, program design & evaluation and implementation of evidenced based practice.
- Superior interpersonal, coaching and leadership skills to facilitate identification and development of staff learning needs.
- Excellent decision making, problem recognition and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing professional development.
- Computer literacy in word processing.
- Facilitates application of relevant information to make effective judgments and decisions that lead the management of care.
- Proven attendance record.
- Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
- Effectively uses empathy in interactions with others.
- Demonstrates behaviours consistent with Mackenzie Health’s Commitment to Caring.
- Models behaviour that is aligned with the values of Mackenzie Health – Excellence, Leadership and Empathy.
- Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
Preferably, your profile also includes:
- Membership in the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario preferred.
- National certification in Enterostomal Therapy from the Canadian Nurses Association preferred.
*This position is represented by ONA
*You may be required to work at any site of Mackenzie Health