Clinical Extern - Temporary
William Osler Health System (Osler) is a multi-site hospital system serving 1.3 million people in one of the fastest-growing and most culturally-diverse regions in Ontario.
With our new 2019-24 Corporate Strategic Plan, Going Beyond for Healthier Communities as our roadmap, we are shifting traditional thinking and re-imagining health care to help people live healthier lives, reduce chronic disease and improve access to care.
At Osler, we are committed to providing safe, equitable, high-quality care in a fulfilling work environment that inspires our staff, physicians and volunteers to learn, innovate and grow. We are proud to be recognized, year after year, as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers and Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
Here you will work alongside a highly-committed and respected team that understands what it means to go beyond to meet the health care needs of our communities.
Clincal Extern – Seventy (70) Temporary Part Time/Full Time
(Approximately 6 months)
DURATION: Clinical Externs will be hired on contract, during which the Clinical Extern will work part time hours to a maximum of full‐time hours (37.5 hours per week).
HOURS: Currently, Day/Evening/Night, including weekends and statutory holidays
(Subject to change in accordance with operational requirements)
The clinical extern will be working in the capacity as unregulated health care provider. They may perform pre-identified Controlled Acts authorized to nursing within the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) of Ontario delegated to them under the supervision of a nursing professional who is authorized to perform them.
- Practices under the direct and/or indirect supervision of managers and nursing professionals assigned to them on the unit (the role may not be limited to a unit, it may include testing centres, as screeners, auditors, etc.) and in a manner consistent with organizational policies and professional standards, while taking into account CNO guidance for unregulated care providers
- Works with nurses to ensure that they have the knowledge, skills and judgment needed to perform all actions
- Provides assistance with lifting, turning, transferring, transporting and ambulating as per the hospital policy
- Provides measures to ensure skin integrity and reduce pressure injuries
- Assists with comfort measures and patient safety by ensuring the environment is clean and tidy and free of hazards
- Requests assistance with assigned duties whenever in need
- Demonstrates excellent problem-solving, decision making and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Participates as a team member
- Nursing Students enrolled in their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year of a CNO approved baccalaureate or diploma nursing program
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent academic standing
- Current certificate in Basic Cardiac Life Support required
- Completion of mandatory/required certifications provided via corporate orientation, including extern orientation, and as defined by unit (e.g., Fit Test, WHIMS, AODA, IP&C)
- Demonstrated infection prevention and control practices
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Successful completion of a recent clinical placement in an acute care area preferred
- Students who have successfully completed a recent clinical placement preferred
- Flexibility, willingness and ability to work between multiples sites as required
Osler values inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. (AODA). If you require an accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Any information obtained during the course of recruitment will be used for employment recruitment purposes only, and not for any other purpose.