Permanent Full Time Infection Prevention and Control Specialist (IPAC)
Employment Category: Permanent Full Time (Contract)
Work Week: 37.5 hours per week, available to work days, evenings and weekends
Work Location: Rekai Centres multi-site.
The Rekai Centres is currently looking for an Infection Prevention and Control Specialist to join our friendly, person-centered team.
Position Overview: The IPAC Specialist is responsible for:
- Sharing and disseminating IPAC knowledge and expertise with the home staff.
- Integrating surveillance (and/or testing) findings into formal plans for IPAC in the Homes.
- Developing and implementing IPAC policies and procedures based on currently acceptable practices and legislative and/or program requirements,
- Providing knowledge and advise regarding the value and role of the IPAC function.
- Supporting residents/families, administration, committees/communities of practice in IPAC practices and knowledge.
- Participating in development/review of occupational health polices and procedures related to IPAC.
- Developing and reviewing the effectiveness of the IPAC program in the Homes.
- Communicating and providing resources and other supports needed to ensure appropriate practices are followed.
- Follows the Public Health Act (HPPA) for the reporting of communicable infectious diseases
- Implements changes mandated by regulatory and licensing agencies
- Consulting on new equipment and supplies product evaluation and recommendations for infection prevention and control implications
- Participating in local IPAC Community of Practice and/or IPAC Hub.
The IPAC Lead works in collaboration with a team of professionals and exhibits sound professional judgment and initiative while working within the established philosophy, objectives, guidelines, legislations, policies and procedures, and the Mission, Vision and Strategic Directions of The Rekai Centres. IPAC PLead is also expected to sit on at number of committees in relation to IPAC practices within the Homes.
- Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates IPAC program.
- Ability to effectively train and educate others and act as a role model/peer mentor.
- Ability to facilitate practice change and apply published research data to LTC practice.
- Certified in Infection Control (CIC) with the Certification Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology
- Successful completion and of a Bachelor’s Degree (Healthcare Professional Preferred)
- Possess a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a healthcare setting
- Occupational Health & Safety Level 1 & 2 certification is an asset
- Recent experience in Infection Prevention and Control preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Minimum three (3) years related experience working with the elderly in a health care setting
- Advanced knowledge of policies and guidelines related to infection control
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills of the delivery of IPAC policies and procedures, planning and leadership
- Ability to work independently, with a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking and sound-decision-making skills in crisis/emotionally heightened situations, adjust to new or unexpected events
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to interact positively with residents, families, other health care providers and staff with a pleasant and cooperative attitude, demonstrating sensitivity, empathy and warmth
- Commitment to promoting a culture of respect that supports safety, ethical practices, cultural awareness and organizational health
- Strong computer skills – Microsoft – E-mail, Internet
- Previous experience in RAI coding, Activity Pro and Point Click Care program an asset
- Knowledge on how to practice community liaising and building community partners
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Criminal Record check with a Vulnerable Sector search and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Satisfactory TB Screening
Interested candidates should apply with Resume and Cover Letter to the attention of Afaf Zaheer –Director of Human Recourses and Strategic Planning at the Rekai Centres, at firstname.lastname@example.org Please title the subject line “IPAC Specialist”.
We thank all applicants for their submissions and interest in the Rekai Centres. Please know that only the candidates with qualifications and experience determined to be approriate will be contacted.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 6 months.