The University of Toronto Scarborough is a place of energy, enthusiasm and passion. Our commitment to inclusive excellence attracts the brightest learners, scholars and employees from around the globe. Our success has been made possible by the opportunity given to us by our Indigenous hosts to operate on their territory, and we cherish our continuing partnerships with these communities. The University of Toronto Scarborough is an exciting campus with unlimitedpotential. Join us on our journey.
The Health & Wellness Centre provides inter-professional medical, health promotion, and counselling services in a safe, accessible, equitable and inclusiveenvironment to optimize the students' personal, academic and overall well-being. We strive to enhance services to students through collaborative partnerships on campus and in our community.
The Registered Nurse (RN) is an integral member of the interdisciplinary health care team, working in a shared care model to support students at the University of Toronto Scarborough Health & Wellness Centre. Under the supervision of the Manager, the Registered Nurse, licensed by the College of Nurses of Ontario, provides professional nursing care, utilizing full nursing scope of practice in accordance with established standards of care, policies and procedures; while adhering to the University of Toronto Health & Wellness Centre vision, mission, values, and priorities. Inherit in this role are the knowledge, skills and judgement specific to critical thinking and decision making, ability to analyze and assess presenting physical and mental health concerns and collaborate with the medical team in the management of these health concerns.
This is done by providing support to physicians during clinic hours, providing virtual and telephone health assessments to clients, providing primary care for illness, injuries and other health concerns, providing in-person patient care when medically-indicated, health teaching on a variety of topics and intervention for students in acute distress. This position is part of an inter-disciplinary team of health care professionals and administrators and includes three main focus areas of practice: triage/virtual health assessments, clinic and RN health teaching/counselling. The remainder of the role provides clinical and administrative support to the Medical Services clinic and team.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assessing the physical and mental condition of patients to determine medical needs
- Determining if there is a life-threatening illness, risk of self-harm or harm to others and independently applying appropriate interventions
- Liaising with an inter-disciplinary support team on the best approach to provide student care and service
- Providing ongoing health counselling to patients
- Updating and maintaining patient records
- Keeping well-informed on new medical procedures, protocols and equipment
- Exercising extreme care to prevent serious physical or emotional injury or harm
- Serving as a resource to others by providing (non-supervisory) job-related guidance
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) required. Current registration, in good standing with no practice restrictions, as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario. Liability insurance or membership in a professional association which offers liability insurance (i.e. RNAO).
- Minimum five (5) years of clinical practice in primary health (i.e. Family Practice, Community Nursing, Occupational Nursing, Emergency), including experience in mental health
- Current CPR certification; First Aid certification preferred
- Must have current BCLS
- Venipuncture experience required
- Knowledge in the practice of evidence based nursing in a primary care setting combined with a genuine interest in young adults
- Knowledge of primary health care, mental health, and social determinants of health
- Applicants are also expected to show evidence of a commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and the promotion of a respectful and collegial learning and working environment.
- Computer skills required (Electronic Health Record platforms, Word and Microsoft Outlook)
- Excellent decision-making, problem-solving, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Demonstrates the ability to work professionally and collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team environment
- Prioritizes and manages time effectively and is flexible in an active work environment
- Good judgement and sensitivity, flexibility and resourcefulness
- Demonstrates cultural awareness; respectful of cultural diversity
- Understands the importance of evidenced based practice within the health care field
- Demonstrates strength in the nursing process and critical thinking
- Understands and utilizes appropriate nursing diagnosis
- Understands and demonstrates College of Nurses Standards of Practice guidelines including but not limited to ethics, confidentiality, and documentation
- Understands the role of Health and Safety within the University
- Understands and abides by the concepts of PHIPA
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Problem solver
- Team player
Note: Please note that this is a part-time (60%) position.
A copy of the full job description is available upon request from the UTSC HR Office.
Closing Date: 01/18/2021, 11:59PM EDT
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget - Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: USW Pay Band 14 -- $78,618 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $100,542. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Part Time Percentage of FTE: 60
Pro-rated Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: USW Pay Band 14 -- $47,171 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $60,325
Job Category: Health & Wellbeing
More search results
Health Care Facilitator
CLH Developmental Support Services
Integrated Care Program Supervisor (Nursing, Reha…
VHA Home Healthcare
Regulated Health Care Professionals, COVID Immuni…
Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre.
Grove Park Home
Registered Practical Nurse
Riverwood Senior Living