General Duty Nurse
- Ministry of Education
- $31.40 - $38.71 per hour
- Job ID 141119
- Job Category
- Contract type
The Ministry of Education, Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch operates specialized schools across the Province for students who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing or who have learning disabilities. The Robarts School for the Deaf and the Amethyst Demonstration School located in London, Ontario requires General Duty Nurses to work on an on-call as needed basis to provide nursing and emergency health care services for multi-exceptional students.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity to work in a dynamic educational/residential setting serving multi-exceptional students, then this position may be for you. As a General Duty Nurse, you will have a direct impact on supporting the health care needs of special education students enrolled at our schools.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Assess student conditions;
• Implement medical treatment plans;
• Administer/monitor medications;
• Maintain health records;
• Provide health care information and resources;
• Work on an on-call as needed basis.
How do I qualify?
• Current registration as a Registered Nurse in Ontario
Skills and Qualifications
Your background and experience enables you to meet the following requirements:
• Knowledge of general nursing theory, practices, procedures and College of Nurses of Ontario
Standards of Practice;
• Knowledge of relevant legislation;
• Sound judgement/organization/planning skills;
• Excellent communication skills, including proficiency in American Sign Language (ASL)
(or willingness to obtain);
• Communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively and resolve conflict;
• Ability to communicate effectively with staff and students in a diverse environment;
• Ability to work independently and in a multi-disciplinary team;
• Knowledge of students with special needs;
• Ability to lift while transferring/assisting students;
• Willingness and ability to work shift work.
Salary Range: $31.40 - $38.71 per hour
- 1 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 10 months, 1515 Cheapside St, London, West Region, Vulnerable Sector Check
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service).
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please submit your cover letter and resume in one document (not exceeding five pages), clearly identifying Job ID 141119, by no later than 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, November 13, 2019, to: PSBjobs@ontario.ca. Late applications will not be accepted.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.