Senior Nursing Manager
Department: Social & Community Services
Division/Location: Services for Seniors – Creekway Village (Burlington)
Position: Senior Nursing Manager
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full-time position working 35 hours per week.
This role fulfills the requirements of the Director of Nursing and Personal Care as per the Long Term Care Homes Act.
This key leadership role is within Creek Way Village Long Term Care Home, a 144 bed home of choice located in the Millcroft area of north east Burlington, one of 3 homes owned and operated by the Region of Halton. You are a dynamic, innovative nursing leader who works collaboratively to support the guiding mission of the organization which is to “support residents to live their life their way!”.
You are an experienced long term care professional with 5 to 10 years of senior management experience in long term care. You possess a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.Sc. N), current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario and have extensive knowledge and understanding of applicable legislation including the Long Term Care Homes Act and Regulations, budget development/monitoring and labor/employee relations. You are passionate about person centered, relationship based care for the elderly and lead others to excellence through your ability to convey a compelling vision. You are a collaborative team player with superior interpersonal, problem solving and conflict-resolution skills. You are a respectful and articulate communicator with exceptional oral and written skills able to clearly demonstrate knowledge and understanding of nursing best practice.
The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on condition that the Regional Municipality of Halton, on the first day of employment, receives a current original and acceptable Criminal Records Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screen and a current two-step tuberculosis test (both obtained within the past six (6) months). A flexible work schedule is required to respond to the needs of the home. Travel will be required; incumbent must provide their own transportation.
As a pilot site for the development and implementation of a new person centred, relationship based care model, you recognize the importance of leveraging existing resources to meet rising acuity and are open to new approaches to care. You have an interest in best practice research and are comfortable leading in an environment of change.
- Leads the nursing department and works collaboratively to ensure the provision of high quality care.
- Ensures compliance to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Acts and Regulations, Ministry of Labour legislation, Resident’s Bills of Rights and the Region’s policies and procedures.
- Fosters an environment that is resident centered and multidisciplinary in nature with emphasis on excellent resident care, client satisfaction, quality of life and continuous quality improvement.
- Monitors and evaluates nursing and related practices and processes and implements change to improve resident care and efficiency.
- Monitors and evaluates risk and ensures actions are in place to reduce and mitigate risk.
- Participates in the development of, and effectively administers, the nursing department operational budget.
- Responsible for procurement and management of nursing equipment and material resources.
- Manages the recruitment, selection, promotion, transfer, training, orientation or termination of nursing staff according to the Home’s policies and procedures and applicable Collective Agreements.
- Coaches and mentors positive team dynamics to ensure accountability and high quality performance.
- Works collaboratively with the home’s management team and divisional peers to ensure consistency and service excellence within the home and among all Halton Region Long-Term Care Homes, services and programs.
- Provides support and serves as a resource to both residents and family members for assessing, investigating and resolving resident/family concerns.
- Supervises the daily operations of all assigned staff, monitor staff performance and conduct performance evaluations.
- Provides leadership to ensure clinical competency and engages staff in evidence-based best practice.
- Ensures safe and secure storage and administration of medications, investigates medication incidents in accordance with Incident Reporting Procedure and provides solutions to reduce risk where appropriate.
- Available to staff for guidance in problem resolution and ensures positive staff relationships through effective management and conflict resolution skills.
- Leads/participates in accreditation and the implementation and evaluation of annual quality initiatives.
- Supports frontline staff and serves as a resource in caring for residents with complex needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Posted: October 23, 2019
Posting Expires: November 13, 2019
Posting #: SS-362-19
Halton Region contacts applicants via email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.